Skip to main content

One Piece at a Time

A long time ago, I remember walking by the common area on a floor where I didn't work. It was interesting to see their various artifacts and practices on display, in particular because they didn't necessarily line up with what I was used to with my team. It was like visiting another country, and I was a sightseer that got to visit for a little while.

This was a while ago, so I don't really remember the little things. However, I do remember that they had a communal puzzle. The whole thing was set up on a table in full view of the entire team, and I got the impression that people were encouraged to work on it whenever they had a free moment. What's more, there were other completed puzzles in various places, so I could see that this wasn't just a whim.

On the one hand, this puzzle thing made total sense to me. I was the one who had an ongoing chess game with my coworker, remember? Spreading the fun around seemed perfectly reasonable. On the other hand, though, I'd never seen it in practice. I was vaguely curious about the etiquette. Did people only work on the puzzle one at a time? If you group like pieces together, are you helping progress the problem solving process or are you potentially hiding a piece needed elsewhere? Like I said, I had questions.

Well, as it turns out, someone did this on a team of my recently. So, I now have answers to some of these questions. First off, it's surprisingly fun to see it come together. It also gives all of us something to work on, so there's a bit of a shared foxhole mentality. I also discovered that it was perfectly acceptable for multiple people to congregate around the puzzle, though it's usually rare to see more than three people at once. The lack of space and access to pieces sort of limits the practicality.

The most interesting bit, though, comes from the fact that we're starting to make enough progress where the end is in sight. It's not actually done, but it wouldn't surprise me if the puzzle was finished in the next week or two. If one puzzle is fun, two should be more fun, right?

Well, this led to questions about whether the next puzzle should be harder. There are plenty of ways to up the degree of difficulty; you can find puzzles without straight edges as the borders, you can find ones where a color appears all over the place, or you can find ones with few defining characteristics. All of these make it harder to find pieces that actually fit together, and ultimately slow down the puzzle-solving process.

This reminded me of a puzzle that my siblings and I got as kids. I don't remember who got it for us, but I definitely remember the puzzle:
In retrospect, I wonder what the adult who purchased this was thinking
Yeah, there's a reason why I remember that particular puzzle. I'm pretty sure we never put the whole thing together. I suspect we just didn't have the patience for it.

I have mentioned this puzzle to a couple of coworkers, and they have always chuckled and shaken their heads when seeing this picture. The best part, however, comes from the fact that my sister recently decided to take a second crack at this puzzle. Yup, she's going to take this bad boy down. I'm totally rooting for her. That puzzle mocked us for far too many hours for me not to root for anyone who takes it on.

Here's hoping that the puzzle gods look kindly on my sister.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...