Skip to main content

Deeper and Deeper

It's not much of a secret, but I tend to have some awfully nerdy habits and hobbies. I used to have a standing chess game with a coworker, fercryinoutloud. There's really not much I can do about hiding the fact at that point. If he looks like a nerd and talks like a nerd, he's probably a nerd.

That said, I am not one hundred percent nerdy about everything. Frankly, I'm not even sure that's possible. I'm not sure I could read for hours, play multiple games of chess, watch several hours of science fiction television, AND write a bunch of code in a single day. I still have to eat and sleep, after all. Heck, I have a day job, too. Basically, for all that I am a nerd, there are certain areas of nerd-dom that are foreign to me.

One such area is Dungeons & Dragons. I know what it is in general, but I've never played a single game. I don't know that I have any objections to it, I just never got into the game. I'm guessing a part of it was that I didn't really know anyone who played the game when I was a kid, so it would've been harder for me to seek out people to play with. Regardless of the reasons, though, I just don't play Dungeons and Dragons.

As a result, I haven't had much reason to interact with one of the hallmarks of that game: dice that have more than six sides to them. The only dice I've ever rolled have had six sides to them, during games like Monopoly.

So, it was amusing as all heck to me when the Mild Wife gifted me this:
It has WAY more sides than the ones I'm accustomed to using
Yes, that is a twenty-sided die. Again, that's precisely the sort of thing that gets used for some hardcore nerd hobbies, and the Mild Wife presented it to me. I'm not entirely sure that she knew the implications of the item, since she routinely ribs me about being a nerd. Remember, this is a woman who occasionally points out, in an alarmed manner, that I like Star Trek. In case you're too lazy to click on that link, her exact words included, "Oh Lord ..." (please, take a moment to get the laughter out of your system).

Given that, you have no idea how much glee it gave me that, of all people, the Mild Wife was the one who was pushing me further down the rabbit hole. If you ever see me playing Dungeons & Dragons, you know exactly how it started.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

An Excursion: Getting Home

So, in the ongoing saga that I have been writing about the last few weeks, a perfect storm of random occurrences led me to taking a trip to the office. Once there, I went about my day, but leaving led me to wander through a mine field of geese and goose droppings . Incidentally, I also happened to mention this to my coworkers, and one of them introduced me to the nickname that Canadian geese sometimes go by: the " cobra chicken ." All in all, that one day led to much hilarity. Still, at this point in our tale, I wasn't home yet. The Mild Wife was out and about that day, so we had agreed to carpool. I was going to hop on the bus, and she would pick me up from a BART station. We've actually done this a bunch, and it had become my go-to means of transportation before the pandemic started. It saved me from having to deal with rush hour traffic, so I was actually a big fan of this process. I expected far less traffic on this day, but even so, it was a sound plan so that...