Skip to main content

Interesting Feature

I'm not the biggest fan of Daylight Saving Time. For one, I get up really early to begin with, so it's not like it does me any good to have sunrise be off by an hour. There are pretty good odds that I'm going to get up when it's dark no matter what the clock says. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly to me, it doesn't really seem to work (as a quick example, see the last item on the History Channel's article). Basically, we spend all this effort to try to get a benefit, but it doesn't seem to materialize. So why bother?

Regardless of how I feel about it, though, that's how everyone does things where I live. It's not like I can wage a one-man boycott of Daylight Saving Time. I will inevitably have to meet with someone, either for work or for pleasure, and bad things would happen if we had two different ideas of when 10AM was. Basically, I have to play along because time is one of those things that everyone relies on.

So, when it was the appointed weekend to change the clocks in November, I made sure to change all of the clocks. Most of them actually required no effort, since they just updated themselves. These days, laptops and cell phones more or less take care of Daylight Saving themselves. On the other hand, we still have certain appliances like alarm clocks, microwaves, and stoves that require manual intervention (we don't have IoT versions of any of these devices).

I'm not super familiar with the stove, however, so it took a bit of futzing to try to change the time. In doing so, I ended up cycling through the various settings. That's when I stumbled upon this:
I did a double-take when I saw this
Yes, that says, "Sabbath," as in the Hebrew word tinged with all sorts of religious connotations. It actually took me a second to process the fact that I saw that word on the display. I mean, it's not like you're expecting to see that there. If it randomly said, "lunch box," you'd probably be confused, too. Once my brain caught up, I couldn't help but laugh. I've never thought of a stove as having very religious connotations, but apparently the makers of this brand thought otherwise.

Regardless of what I thought, though, there was an actual mode on the stove for respecting the Sabbath. I'm not Jewish, so I wasn't entirely sure whether that covered the requirements or not, but I wasn't about to try it. I wouldn't want to be struck down for using it wrong, you know?

No matter what, that is an awfully interesting feature for a stove to have. And it's not like I would have discovered this were it not for Daylight Saving, so perhaps changing the clock was good for something, after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...