Skip to main content

The Date

Recently, the Mild Wife and I decided to partake in NightLife at the Academy of Sciences. If you're not familiar with the event, it's a night at the museum with alcohol and music. Given how much we tend to nerd out about certain things, it seemed like a good way to enjoy an evening. And, in hindsight, it totally was. We thoroughly enjoyed walking through the exhibits and sipping on adult beverages. We were talking about going back again at some point, so you probably have some idea of how much we enjoyed the experience.

Of course, that's not the amusing part. Sure, the evening was enjoyable for us, but that's not amusing to you. So, then, why would I write about that particular evening? Well, let me tell you, friends.

We chose to sit in on the planetarium show, so we sat down in what felt like a movie theater with a bunch of other people. It was these other people that really made us chuckle. Specifically, it was a couple on a date sitting a few chairs away from us.

We knew it was a date because the woman noticed one of her friends a few rows away, and proceeded to have a conversation over those rows. Given that we were sitting pretty much right next to her, we overheard the whole thing. Thus, we discovered, against our will, that this woman was on a date with the gentleman sitting next to her.

Now, when you draw this much attention to yourself, it's likely that people are going to glance over. The Mild Wife and I did just this, and we noticed her, ahem, attire. Let's just say that she would not have been out of place had she been in a club or a bar instead of at the Academy of Sciences. It bears repeating that last bit: we were in a museum, watching a short film about stars. I would not have expected to see that much skin in that setting. It just seemed like an odd choice, and the Mild Wife and I shared a glance.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the planetarium show displays directly overhead, not on a screen in front of you. Given how peripheral vision works, the Mild Wife and I also got to see that this woman was all up on her date. Have you ever heard the word "draped" used to describe one person's body in relation to another? Yeah, think of that. That's a pretty good description of what we saw. Again, at the museum.

The best part of the whole thing, though, was the exchange that happened as the woman yelled out to her friend. Somehow or another, the friend asked something to the effect of, "how's [the date] going?" I nearly burst out laughing at that point. Fortunately for me, I managed to maintain my composure. Still, the two friends settled on a phone call "later" in order to debrief about the whole event.

I think I would've liked to hear that conversation, but I settled for laughing about the whole experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...