Skip to main content

Military Coffee

Let's say I'm on the road for some particular reason. There are decent odds that this trip will be for work, so that means that I'll likely be myself. In those cases, I try to pick up a little souvenir or something for the Mild Wife, largely to try to do something nice. It doesn't have to be something huge or extravagant, but just a little something that shows her I was thinking of her.

Lately, that item has been coffee. It's actually been a lot of fun, for a couple of reasons. For one, we like coffee, and having different types of coffee is a nice treat. For another, we both appreciate the fact that it's something of an uncommon souvenir. There are more traditional gifts, like keychains and t-shirts, but we have a bit more fun with the coffee. Heck, it's also possible to get at a plain old grocery store, which also means I can see a bit more of the local life. Like I said, it makes things a bit more fun.

The last time I did this, however, led to quite the interesting exchange. I was in an airport shop, browsing through the selection for a bit. I actually found a few that caught my attention, so it took me a while to decide on what I wanted. In the end, I selected something from one of the farther corners of the shop, and then meandered to the front to pay.

I noticed that there were a few employees standing around near the till, but there was nobody behind the desk. I threw out a quick, "excuse me?" to ask if one of them could help me, but apparently the manager also saw this predicament. She did it for me, chiding the employees with something along the lines of, "there's a customer trying to pay behind you, and none of you are helping him." I felt bad for getting them in trouble, but I'd just walked up to pay.

One of them quickly slid behind the register to take care of my transaction. I don't know if it was because she'd gotten grief a moment before or what, but she was extra nice. We chatted for a few seconds, when she asked me a question that I've heard many a time before: "are you in the military?"

Well, no, I'm not. As I've written about before, the question doesn't offend my sensibilities, but I do always find it intriguing, and a little bit amusing. What is it that makes strangers think this about me? Clearly, there's something. It's happened too many times for it to be a coincidence, and it's happened in random places with random people. There's something.

I replied with my usual, "no, I'm not" and a short laugh. The response, though, was what really made my day: "then why do you look like you are?" I had no real answer for this. I promise you, I was dressed in regular clothes, just jeans a sweatshirt. I had on sneakers, and was carrying my duffel bag with travel clothes. It's a plain black bag, and looks nothing like those tan or green knapsacks that I occasionally see soldiers carrying. Whatever she saw, I didn't quite understand it.

Either way, I can add another encounter to the list. I'm still unsure of what makes folks think this about me, and it still makes me chuckle. However, in true smart-aleck form, I've decided that the takeaway from all of this is that, apparently, buying coffee makes you look like you're in the military.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...