Skip to main content

Argentina 2019: Landing is Hard

Recently, the Mild Wife and I went on a trip to Argentina. There were a few amusing stories that resulted from that trip, but the flight itself led to a bit of amusement. I don't think I'll do all of them in chronological order, but since this is likely to be a series of posts, I'll introduce the trip with the first leg of it: the flight.

There were no direct flights for us to get to our destination, so we had to stop off in Texas for a connecting flight. However, this also meant that we had to take a red-eye, since the flight with the most reasonable arrival time that we could find involved leaving late in the evening. Well, c'est la vie. We've both done it before (on our New York trip, no less), so we know we're capable of it. It's an inconvenience, but as a trade off, you have the whole day in front of you when you land.

Fortunately, there were no problems with our connecting flight, so we got on the plane with no issues. Everything was going according to plan, and we settled in for the long flight. I managed to watch a couple of movies and still doze off for a respectable amount of time, so I was thinking that the travel logistics might work out okay.

However, it was not to be. As we were getting closer to our destination, the captain announced over the loud speaker that visibility was pretty poor, and it might impact our landing. As it turned out, what he meant was that visibility was so poor that no planes were landing or taking off from the airport. None. So, our large plane needed a backup plan because it wasn't allowed to go forward with its original plan (i.e., land).

To their credit, the folks over the speaker told us that the situation was fairly "fluid," but they would let us know what was happening as the situation progressed. Still, it was a bit of a surprise when they announced that our next step would be to land in a different airport in Argentina. As it turned out, our plane did not have enough fuel to simply fly in a holding pattern, so it had to touch down somewhere. That somewhere just wasn't going to be our original destination. There were a few murmurs throughout the cabin when we all heard this (twice, once in English and once in Spanish), but since we had the whole day to recover from this, I wasn't particularly considered.

"Fluid" was a very appropriate word for the situation, though. A few short minutes later, we were told that our plane would instead land in Santiago, Chile. I haven't scrutinized a map to figure out how much shorter or farther that is, but I am positive that that airport is in another country. I had visions of dealing with a customs/immigration nightmare just to get back on a flight to Argentina, and immediately dreaded the upcoming hours.

Fortunately for us, this problem resolved itself by simply having us wait on the plane while it refueled. We simply didn't get off the plane, so there were no Chilean officials or government entities to deal with. I seem to remember this whole process being relatively quick, so perhaps it was only about thirty minutes. Still, it was additional time on our journey. The most amusing part, however ,was that the airline attendants tried to make the most of the situation by serving an additional round of beverages, but they were understandably low on supplies. They served a round of juice and water, but I chuckled as they repeated twice that they only had juice and water.

Eventually, our plane flew right back to our original destination, and we landed perhaps five hours later. Since all the flights had been delayed, the lines to get through customs and immigration were pretty darn big, but at that point, the Mild Wife and I were both just happy to have arrived. When it was all said and done, we eventually arrived in our hotel something like seven hours after we were originally supposed to have landed, just in time to settle in, take a shower, and have a leisurely dinner. Let's just say that we were both in the mood for a drink at that point.

As with many of these points, though, I will end this with a moral of the story. In this case, it's in the title of the post. Landing is hard, guys. Don't take it for granted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

All Good Things ...

August 8, 2009. Over twelve years ago, I started blogging with this simple post . I didn't really have a great reason for starting the blog, other than I wanted to try it out. I wanted to try writing and putting it where others could read it. I don't know, it just seemed like a new adventure to try. Along the way, there have been all sorts of posts and all sorts of life events, but through it all, I kept writing. It just became a part of what I do at some point. It wasn't a matter of whether I was going to write a blog post, it was a matter of when. The Mild Wife has described it as a "writing practice," and it was one of the reasons why I kept writing. Honestly, it's good practice, and it gives me an opportunity to hone my craft. I'm no professional author, but we all have to write stuff in our everyday lives. Why not give yourself reps to get better at it? However, I think it's time for that practice to change. My weekly anecdotes sure kept me amused...