Skip to main content

A What Now?

The Mild Wife and I both like to cook, but I don't immerse myself quite as much in the endeavor as she does. I will occasionally suggest an interesting combination of ingredients (grilled onions in a salad is delicious), but she just has a passion for it that I can't match. Why do I say this? Because she doesn't just enjoy cooking, she enjoys learning new recipes, looking at social media posts about food, and the like. To paraphrase the Batman villain Bane, I merely adopted cooking.

Now, to be clear, this does not mean that the Mild Wife does all the cooking. I put in my share of effort, to the point where we joke that I am the sous chef. Like I said, I enjoy the activity, and I do like to play with the ingredients to try to come up with something delicious. However, I find new recipes far less often than the Mild Wife. Most of the time, the Mild Wife will find something, and we will try to make it at some point.

One of the most memorable instances of this, however, involved a recipe that we'd never heard of before. I don't even remember what the Mild Wife was looking for, but her reaction was pure hilarity. I'm not entirely sure I can put it into words, but the closest description I can find for it is, "outraged disbelief." You see, she had been looking at various social media posts, and she came across recipes for "taco pop tarts."

On some level, I intuitively understand what people mean by that. Imagine something like a Hot Pocket, filled with something similar to the filling that you'd put in a taco. It's actually not a strange combination, since that filling can be used in a variety of dishes that all wrap it with bread of some sort. Think about it: a taco and a burrito don't differ that much in structure, it's just a matter of how much tortilla you used and whether you enclose the filling or not. It's a pretty sane thought process.

Of course, it's so sane that people thought of doing just that a long, long time ago. They just called it an "empanada." In fact, that Wikipedia article claims that one of the earliest recorded recipes was over 500 hundred years ago. So, yeah, it's been around a while.

The Mild Wife knows this last fact, so she immediately reacted in disbelief. I believe the exact words she exclaimed at her phone were, "you mean empanadas?!" I didn't know the context or her search history at that point, so all I heard was the tail end of it. It was hilarious to watch/hear, and it became all the funnier when I realized why she was objecting. Taco pop tart, indeed.

(To round out the story, apparently there was blog that promoted this, and the author seems to be genuine in her approach, at least based on someone's interview of her. That doesn't make it any less funny to me, but I'm heartened that this wasn't just out-and-out shenanigans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...