Skip to main content

Signature Move

My sister was in town recently, so that means we got to spend a little time with her and her family. It was good seeing them, as always, though the fact that she has young children means that seeing "them" includes having interactions with little kids. This, as you can imagine, means all sorts of amusing anecdotes.

In this particular case, it was less something that a kid said and more what was said about a kid. You see, the Mild Nephew has a decent memory. He will remember specific things about people, the sort of things that amuse him. I guess on some level we all do this ("oh yeah, I like so-and-so. They're nice"), but it's not nearly as refined in a little kid. Apparently, he will flat out say to his mom that he wants to go visit so-and-so because they have dogs and he wants to see the dogs. The same sentiment applies to other people, and other attributes. What's more, he has an impressive-for-his-age mental rolodex of people and attributes.

When my sister was telling me about this, I initially just laughed. However, she then mentioned that he also has an entry for the Mild Wife and me. We'd just visited them recently, so it wasn't too surprising that he had something in mind for the two of us. I also wasn't surprised that he had a joint entry for us, since he usually sees us together. My mind tried to guess what the mental entry was for the Mild Wife and me, and I immediately guessed that it was "muscles!" I mean, that's what the Mild Wife and I remember. We still chuckle about it to this day, and it's become something of a rallying cry whenever we want to get something done.

As it turns out, however, I was wrong. Instead, the Mild Nephew mostly remembers the fact that we did a happy dance when we were over there. I don't even remember why we did it, but I think it was mostly to entertain him for a few seconds. Still, that's what he remembers: the happy dance. It's sort of like the mental equivalent of a kid getting a present and only wanting to play with the box it came in. Forget the funny anecdote, let's remember the two seconds of slapstick comedy.

Fortunately for the Mild Nephew, we did make sure to do a group happy dance before we left for the evening. We may not have control of the mental rolodex, but we can play to our strengths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...