Skip to main content

Just in the Nick of Time 2

Every now and then, the timing is more amusing than the actual thing. For example, I once let my sister and her husband use my bedroom when they stayed with us, only for me to have a hilariously hard time getting into a new routine during that time. I did eventually figure it out, but only on the very last day of their stay. Like I said, the timing is sometimes the funniest bit of the whole thing.

In this case, it wasn't so much a slow crescendo that set up the joke. No, in this case, I had the PG&E public safety power shutoff to blame. If you're unfamiliar with what that was, the biggest utility company in California proactively shut off power to lots of people during some inclement weather. The craziest thing about it was that it wasn't even the kind of weather that you normally worry about. It wasn't high heat, extreme cold, pouring rains, or a hurricane. No, the root cause was high winds. Think about that; the wind blew so hard, that the utility company was worried that power lines would be impacted (read: spark fires). I realize that I'm not exactly an old-timer, but that's definitely the first time I've heard of that.

Basically, our power was out. Now, I try to keep to a schedule for these blog posts, so that meant that I was in real danger of breaking my once-per-week streak. I honestly don't remember how long I've been writing my weekly blog post, but if that post I linked is any indication, I have kept to that schedule for somewhere on the order of eight years. That's the sort of thing that becomes an expectation. That's not even so much what my readers expect (I doubt I have more than a handful), but it's become something that I expect to do. It's just become a thing I do.

Still, there was nothing I could do, because our power was out. I wasn't about to drive super far to try to find WiFi, and I wasn't even sure that I could find power all that close to us anyway. I had, sadly, resigned myself to missing my weekly post.

And then ... the power came back on.

Well, then, my friends, the game was afoot. I don't remember the exact time when the power came back on, but it was sometime around 7PM local time. That gave me roughly an hour before my usual post came out, so I had a mad literary scramble on my hands. The nice thing about this deadline was that it cut through my usual planning phases. I simply didn't have the time to try to think through an ideal post for that week. I just had to write.

And write I did. I didn't exactly write in an uninterrupted stream, but I pretty much just got down to work and cranked out a blog post. The best part of the whole thing was the timing. I finished and published my post at 8:02PM, only two minutes after the usually schedule time. I don't think I can quite describe the relief and pride I felt at getting a post done more or less on time when the very electricity conspired against me.

My streak is intact, y'all. Just in the nick of time, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...