Skip to main content

Friendsgiving - Honey

As you can probably tell by the recent titles, Friendsgiving was all sorts of fun. We had juice boxes, and the food got high marks from little kids. You can just imagine how much laughter was involved with all of that. Still, those were mostly funny things that happened on the day of the event. Today's post involves a little bit of fun that won't be going away anytime soon.

I mentioned before that one of the munchkins was at the age where she was learning new words. She was quick about learning them, too, often repeating things that she had just heard. I know lots of friends of mine who have kids have warned me that their kids repeat anything and everything, but this was my first time seeing it play out in real time. Sure, I've seen kids at the daycare say things that I was certain came from their parents, but this was the first time I'd seen the action up close and personal.

We realized this almost immediately after she repeated the word "juice" a minute or two after she learned it, but didn't quite realize the implications. Now, just to set the stage, a minute is a long time for a munchkin. By my reckoning, that's roughly equivalent to seventeen days in adult time. Sure, you can remember things that happened that far back, but if you do, it's not an accident. You either have a very good memory, something particularly important happened, or you had some technology to help you remember. So, when a munchkin remembers something that happened minutes (as in plural) ago, you notice. We immediately knew to mind our P's and Q's, so that she wouldn't pick up any bad words.

What we didn't count on, however, was that she would also pick up terms of endearment. At some point, she heard the word "honey" used as a substitute for a name, and she repeated that, too. Not just that, but she sort of looked in that person's direction and sort of hesitantly uttered the word. It was as if she was trying the word on, to see if it fit. There was a fit of laughter immediately following this, with the loudest guffaws coming from the Mild Wife. She was actually the first to notice, and she was highly, highly amused.

The laughter inevitably died down, but the cat was out of the bag. A toddler using "honey" as a term of endearment was now a part of our shared memory, and the way she said it was now a part of our lexicon. That was not the last time that "honey" was uttered that way in our home, nor was it the last time that I giggled after it was uttered in such a fashion.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: little kids are awesome to talk to. It just so happens that I know one that speaks very sweetly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...