Skip to main content

Sunday Drive

As you've probably heard, the whole world is dealing with a pandemic at the moment. It doesn't matter where you live, your country and hometown have likely been affected by COVID-19. It really and truly is a pandemic at this point. The whole situation, in general, is far from amusing. People have been impacted in very serious ways, and it's not exactly a laughing matter.

What I will say, however, is that the severity of the situation has made the Mild Wife and I make some very real changes to our lives. We are hardly the only ones, but we're trying to do our part to help things pass as quickly as possible. Namely, we are staying home pretty much all the time. I am lucky that I can work remotely, and we have enough groceries for a little while. Sure, we've adjusted how we cook in order to stretch the ingredients as far as we can, but we have basically decided to avoid stepping through our front door.

Now, this works to help keep the two of us healthy, but we also realized at some point that our car should not sit idle for weeks at a time. It's an older car, so it just needs to run every now and then. It's not like we need to take a long road trip somewhere, but it does need to warm up, get the engine running, and do its thing for a few miles. We figured running it about once a week was enough of cadence (and fortunately for us, that StackExchange link seems to agree with us), so we settled on making sure we take it for a spin around the neighborhood every Sunday.

Given that we haven't really left the house during this time, that drive has become a treat of sorts at the end of the week. Even if it's just for a few minutes, we get to get out of the house and do something outdoors. Mind you, we keep the windows rolled up during that drive, but at least we can see the sun and get a change of scenery for a little bit. It's our very own version of Sunday Funday in these times.

Once we realized that's how we were treating that drive, the Mild Wife and I had a chuckle about it. Who knew that a simple drive could qualify as an event? Still, we're take our little victories where we can, and I'm looking forward to next week's Sunday Drive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...