Skip to main content

The Whatchamacallit Tea

Every family and every culture has its set of home remedies for common malaises. I'm sure you've lived through a few of them, or you can probably rattle off a few of them that you swear work. It's just one of those things that people do. It's sort of like a combination between a tradition and a life hack; people gravitate to the ones that work for them.

For example, when I was younger, we would sometimes have flat soda when we had a cold or flu symptoms. I don't quite know what the rationale was, but I do remember that as a child, I was happy when that particular home remedy made an appearance. If I had to try to reverse engineer why it became a thing over time, it probably had something to do with the sugar in the soda. They're empty carbs, but when your body is feeling down, it might actually do you some good to get a quick burst of energy.

The interesting bit, to me, is that every family and every culture has its own set of home remedies. When it comes to fixing the common cold, I've heard of people wrapping towels drenched in butter around someone's neck, slicing an onion and leaving it on someone's bedside, Vaporub on someone's chest, Vaporub on someone's feet with socks over it, and regular (i.e., carbonated) soda. Like I said, there's all sorts of traditions.

All of that is for the common cold, but there are home remedies for other ailments, too. For an upset stomach, the Mild Wife introduced me to Korean plum tea. It's usually sold in a concentrated syrup form, sort of like a jar of honey, so I've always just mixed it with water in order to make some.
This stuff

Though I'd never had any growing up, it quickly won me over. I forget what my ailment was the first time I had it, but it calmed things right down. In fact, it did such a good job that I quickly became a believer in the said plum tea. Whenever my stomach isn't feeling right, I usually reach for the plum tea.

I mention this because I know of the stuff, but since I don't have a history with it, the actual Korean name (maesil-cha) for this plum tea frequently escapes me. I always just call it "Korean plum tea." I had to look it up just now in order to come up with the parenthetical in that last sentence. So, when someone at work said his stomach wasn't feeling well, the ensuing conversation went like this:

Me: "Oh, you should try Korean plum tea."
Coworker: "What's that?"
Me: "It's just like a syrup, but I will swear by it. It's always done the trick for me."
Coworker: "Oh, thanks. Where can I get it?"
Me: "Oh, uh, we buy it at this Korean supermarket nearby."
Coworker: "What's it called? Like what should I look for?"
Me: "Uh ... I'm honestly not sure ..."

There was a lot of laughter that followed that last part. It was doubly funny because I was trying to be useful, but I had no idea what the remedy I was recommending was called (though in my defense, the only thing on the side of the jar that I can actually read says "plum tea"). All in all, it wasn't all that useful to the guy.

I made up for it by bringing a small container's worth in the next day, but the whole exchange cracked me up. I think from now on, I'm going to try to learn the names of the things that I ingest. It might save me a little bit of laughter at my expense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...