Skip to main content

So That's What It Looks Like

 Recently, the Mild Wife and I decided to give the Community Supported Agriculture (CSA, for short) thing a try again. If you've never heard of the concept, it's basically a delivery of produce to your door, only the providers are local farms or providers. It's sort of like supporting your local farm instead of the supermarket chain down the block. As you can probably imagine, the notion of having stuff delivered to us rated highly on our list, and the fact that we could support local agriculture seemed like a pretty good idea, too.

In this case, we decided to give Imperfect Foods a try (I could've sworn they started out as "Imperfect Produce," but their website seems to say otherwise). The idea is that there is produce that won't make it to a grocery store shelf because it looks, well, ugly. The carrots might be gnarled, the fruit can be small, or a bruise might appear on a vegetable. So, you're not guaranteed to get pretty-looking food, but, as your mother was likely to tell you as a kid, it's perfectly edible. That basic premise lines up pretty well with the Mild Wife's and my notion that we shouldn't waste food, so we decided to give it a go.

All in all, we've been pretty happy with our deliveries. We get fresh produce delivered to our door, and with maybe one minor exception, we haven't any complaints about the contents of the delivery. It's basically working as planned.

The reason I mention this as background, though, is that you get to choose if you want a particular item in your delivery. So, every week, the Mild Wife and I "go shopping" on their website and choose items that we'd like delivered. There are definitely some staples that we usually throw into the mix (things like onions or mushrooms), but we also decided to throw in some "fun" items every now and again. We don't get jalapeños every week, for example, but sometimes we decide we want a little more spice in our food.

In this case, I voted for blood oranges. I didn't really have a reason for wanting them, I just wanted to switch it up. I also remember seeing them on menus and what-not, so I'm fairly certain I've eaten them before and I liked the flavor. So, I told the Mild Wife to check that box so we could get some delivered to us.

Well, the first time I saw the fruit opened up, I did a double take. As it turns out, I had never actually seen the fruit itself before. And while my brain knew on some level that the adjective in the name implied something about the color of the flesh, I was still surprised by the color of the inside of the orange. I did a very obvious double-take when I saw it.

You know who wasn't surprised by this? The Mild Wife. She's seen them before, and she knew what to expect. That's also why she laughed her head off when I did a double-take. She figured I just liked that particular type of orange, and that's why I had requested them. When she witnessed my reaction, she put two and two together, and laughed like crazy. I don't blame her, it was a pretty funny interaction. Still, she definitely got the better end of that deal.

Regardless, I ate the oranges and enjoyed them just fine. However, I have resolved to search on Google for produce items whose names I recognize but have not personally seen before. It'll save a little bit of chuckling at my expense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...