Skip to main content

The Long Intro

As the Mild Wife and I have found ourselves with more time in the house on our hands, one of the simplest ways to solve this problem has been to watch some Netflix together. To a certain extent, this has already been part of our lives, since I will pick code words to describe movies to the Mild Wife. Still, with the advent of more time on our hands, we have found ourselves picking a long-running show and watching an episode or two every day.

Now, it sometimes takes a little bit of time to settle on a show that we like, since we prefer to watch it for weeks and months at a time. So, not only does it have to grab our attention and hold it for the majority of a season, it has to have some staying power. Plenty of shows are entertaining for a little while and then sort of trail off, so it takes a bit of futzing sometimes to settle on a show.

That means that we value staying power and good storylines over how recent the show is, so it's not uncommon for us to pick "new to us" shows for our nightly viewing. For example, we recently finished "The West Wing." That show is most definitely not new, but it had a pretty good run for seven seasons and it was a good drama for most of its run. Sure, there were some episodes or story arcs that we didn't like that much, but, all in all, we liked it.

Most recently, we have switched over to "Madam Secretary." We've enjoyed the first couple of seasons, so it's gotten our nod of approval through forty-something episodes. However, that also means that we've watched enough of it to notice an interesting trend: that show has a really long opening scene. For most shows, you will watch a couple of minutes worth of the plot before you see the usual opening sequence/credits. I would imagine that the idea is to hook you with just a little bit of information, just enough to whet your appetite.

With this show, however, we tend to see an act or so before that opening sequence plays. I think I was the first to comment on it, but after I said something, we started roughly tracking the amount of time before that opening played. For most episodes, that comes at about the twelve to fifteen minute mark. Considering that most of these shows have about forty minutes of content (with commercials, it'd be a full hour), that is a really long time to wait before showing that opening sequence. That's about a third of the show!

Of course, now it's become a game. We chuckled about the whole thing when we first noticed, but now we track the length of that opening scene/act. It's not uncommon for the Mild Wife to ask, "how long was that?" as soon as we see the opening credits. Fortunately for us, the show seems to be heading in a good direction, so we will get plenty of practice with that question.

Still, even if we were to stop watching tomorrow, I feel like we've gotten double the entertainment from this. That's not bad for a way to keep ourselves amused.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...