Skip to main content

Bilingual Problems: Google

Over the years, I have mentioned once or twice that I speak more than one language. That's just a circumstance of who my parents are, but it's one of those things that I am quite grateful for. There have been times when I have been able to switch languages in order to communicate with folks, and even times when my use of words in other languages has led to much laughter. All in all, it's a good thing.

Now, there are certain things about switching between languages or being bilingual that bring up unique bits of fun. There's a reason why "Spanglish" is a common enough word that you can find all search of articles and Google hits for it (seriously, try Googling "Spanglish"). Heck, it even has its own Wikipedia page. You know it's a real thing if it's managed to make its way onto Wikipedia and stay there.

This also means that when one of us bilingual folks finds another one, it leads to all sorts of extra hilarity that we can talk about. It's not just that I can throw out jokes in either of the two languages, I can now point out how the intersection of those languages can lead to some goofiness, too.

As it just so happens, I have a coworker in Argentina who speaks pretty good English and is reasonably aware of American culture. The end result is that he and I can have a conversation in either language where we both generally understand the nuance and cultural references. It's kind of fun to be able to do this, so I'm glad we have gotten to know each other a bit over time.

However, he does such a good job with his English that I forget that he isn't actually a native speaker. And since I tend to throw a bunch of slang into my everyday speech, he has confessed that he has had to Google my messages on occasion in order to catch the drift of what I was saying. Most of the time, he can figure it out based on context. Like if I talk about having to "put out a fire," he can basically figure out that I'm talking about solving a problem of some sort. But some sayings aren't as intuitive, so he resorts to searching for the meaning.

We're good enough friends at this point that he can tell me when that happens, but it made me crack up when he first told me, "great, now I have to go Google this again." It also highlighted to me that I have definitely grown up in the U.S., so that my speech now reflects some of the everyday slang and sayings that a native-speaker has. I sort of knew that on an abstract level, but seeing it play out in real life has been really interesting.

Still, the whole thing leads to some laughs, and it highlights one of those things that I have long believed: other languages are all sorts of fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...