Skip to main content

Magic Drawer

Every now and then, the Mild Wife and I like to have food delivered to the Mild Home. It's not a very frequent occurrence, but every now and then, we decide to order something instead of cooking. That's how, and why, I embarked on a quest to become a topping whisperer, for example (long story short, I have resolved to find new pizza topping combinations that taste good).

Now, this post isn't so much about the actual as it is about something else that usually comes with the order. Basically, whenever you order food from a restaurant, they usually include napkins in the bag.

For some reason, we almost never use those napkins with the meal that is provided. I think part of it is that we usually put the food on a plate of some sort, so we end up setting down our usual place setting with the food. After all, it's still a meal, it was just cooked by someone else. So, we end up using our own napkins, and we usually just stash the to-go napkins in a drawer.

Recently, however, the Mild Wife noticed that the to-go napkin stash was starting to grow, so she remarked that we should use them up. Okay, not a problem. A napkin is a napkin for the most part, so I just started grabbing napkins out of the drawer instead of the usual spot from the kitchen counter. It made a for a few meals where the napkins started to look a bit random, but since I knew how that happened, I didn't think much of it.

After a couple of weeks, though, I noticed that the napkin stash was lasting a surprisingly long time. I hadn't thought much of it for the first few days since it was a stash that we'd accumulated over a couple of years (like I said, we don't really order out that often), and I figured it'd take us a week or so to work our way through it. Still, the stash looked surprisingly full even after a couple of weeks.

Eventually, I commented on this out loud, telling the Mild Wife that there were a lot more take-out napkins than I had expected. In fact, I believe I said something like, "where the heck are all these napkins coming from?"

That led to a bout of laughter from the Mild Wife.

You see, since we'd resolved to work our way through our napkin "stash," the Mild Wife had also included the napkins we'd bought for last year's Friendsgiving in said stash. I had not realized it, but the Mild Wife had refilled the drawer with napkins from the Friendsgiving napkins periodically. That also explained why the "take-out napkins" were of a surprisingly good quality. So, I thought we were still using up take-out napkins, but we were actually working through our leftover napkins from a party we'd had. And since we'd made sure to get those napkins in bulk (we didn't want to run out), we had a lot of leftover napkins.

Once she explained what had actually been happening, I started cracking up, too. We did not, in have, have an exceedingly large napkin supply. I was, however, *that* close to thinking we had a magic drawer that refilled itself; it immediately reminded me of a magic laundry basket that washes all the clothes on its own. Magic, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...