Skip to main content

Christmas 2020: The Meal(s)

Christmas is one of those holidays that is lined with traditions. From watching Christmas movies to making Christmas cookies, there are lots and lots of traditional activities for celebrating the holiday. Some families also have traditional meals, where certain items make an appearance during the festivities. It doesn't take too much imagination to see how these things happen a few years in a row, and then suddenly it is a family tradition.

In the case of the Mild Home, we do appreciate a nice panettone and hot chocolate, but we don't have a go-to recipe yet. Many times we visit our respective families during the holidays, so we have left-overs that we will happily feast on. We did make a seafood paella a couple of years as a means of celebrating, but it didn't stick around as a long-term thing. Basically, we're still experimenting a bit.

For this latest go-round, we decided to make a prime rib. We both appreciate it, but it wasn't something we had ever prepared ourselves, so we decided to give it a go. After all, it was Christmas and we wanted to splurge a little bit to celebrate. Like I said, it's something that the Mild Wife and I have never cooked before, so we relished the opportunity to give it a go. It's always fun cooking something new in the Mild Home.

The meal itself was pretty tasty, and we definitely liked how it turned out. We may have a new contender for a Christmas meal. However, the really fun part was in the aftermath. We had plenty of leftovers because we simply weren't going to finish all of it ourselves in one sitting. So, we cooked other meals with the left over meat. Let me tell you: prime rib tacos are delicious. So is prime rib fried rice, though I don't think I'm quite doing that particular dish justice by calling it "fried rice." All in all, the leftovers were delicious.

My absolute favorite part, though, was the fact that we had a big hunk of bone when we were done. That bone had been seasoned, it had slow-cooked in an oven, and had undoubtedly soaked up some of the fat from the meat. Basically, it seemed like a waste to throw that out. So, we made some broth out of it. Specifically, we went out of our way to add extra seasoning to it to make a pho broth.

That broth lasted for even longer than the remixed leftovers did, and it was every bit as delicious as we expected it to be. A single hunk of meat made a bunch of meals for days at a time, and left us with a profound respect for the bones from a chunk of beef.

I'm not guaranteeing that this is going to become a Christmas tradition in the Mild Home, but I'm certainly not going to bet against it, either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...