Skip to main content

Ingredients 4

Over the course of this blog, certain things have come up often enough that they had warranted a series. The "Little Kids Are Awesome" series is probably my favorite one of these (it's up to eleven different entries), but there is a lesser known one about food ingredients that has also started to make a presence. Today's fun is one of those stories.

Let's start with adding in a bit more detail about a post from long ago. When the Mild Wife and I went to the food tasting for the Mild Wedding, we had all sorts of fun. However, one detail that I left out was that one of the people there commented that one of the dishes was "really spicy." Since the Mild Wife and I both liked spicy food, we were excited about sampling that dish, and we made a point to give it a shot.

As it turns out, the dish wasn't really spicy at all. I don't mean that she and I just had a higher tolerance for spicy food, I mean that we couldn't detect a hint of spiciness at all. Hell, one of my pet peeves is that restaurants call things "spicy" but they just taste like a burning sensation (that's not food, that's an endurance contest), so I don't like to have competitions on who can handle more burning. In this case, though, there was no actual tell-tale sting or burning sensation. The food was seasoned, sure, but it wasn't at all what the Mild Wife or I recognized as "spicy."

As we were biting into it, we sort of looked at each other and arched our eyebrows. How did this count as "spicy" food? Were we just missing the joke?

That's when the Mild Wife sort of stumbled onto the realization: this person was referring to the pepper in the food. Yup, they thought that the food was overly "spicy" because it had been seasoned with plain old black pepper, the kind that is frequently found in pretty much any home kitchen. I kid you not, they objected to the pepper. We chuckled a little bit about that, but went about our business.

I mention this because I happened to come across something recently that reminded me of this incident. After a little bit of Internet browsing, I happened to find someone's recipe for a shrimp dish. The salient bit, though, was that they added a bunch of chicken bouillon to the dish. If you've never used that particular ingredient, it's commonly used to make soups, or to act as the base for a sauce. It's usually a flavorful thing, in the way that adding a bit of salt or pepper to your dish gives it some flavor.

At this point, you can probably guess where this is going. Yup, the person giving out the recipe sprinkled in a liberal amount of the bouillon because, and I quote, "we like it spicy." I chuckled when I saw this, and I just had to show the Mild Wife. She immediately burst out laughing when she saw this, and the episode from the Mild Wedding's food tasting came to mind shortly thereafter. It was a couple of minutes full of mirth in the Mild Home.

All in all, though, I am highly amused at what passes for "spicy" with some folks. I don't really have a problem with other people eating differently than I do, but that'd be like me calling something sweet because you sprinkled some salt on it. For their sake, I hope none of these folks ever comoe across a jalapeƱo or rocoto.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...