Skip to main content

Turbo Power

A while back, my trusty cell phone needed to be replaced, so I purchased a new Moto G Stylus on sale. In fact, the only reason I got that phone was that it was a pretty hefty sale, so I paid less than half the usual price for it. I'm not about to complain if I can get a smart phone for less than one hundred dollars.

As it is, I'm not a huge gadget guy, so I don't need a top of the line device. I just want something that takes phone calls, sends and receives text messages, and lets me connect to a few applications. It's a pretty simple list of requirements. Since this particular device checked all of those boxes, I was pretty happy to find this particular deal.

When I first got it, I noticed that it had a different charger than my previous phone, so I had to switch over to the new one. My new phone had a USB-C port (the one that looks like a flat, symmetrical oval), while my old one did not. Well, they sent a charger with the phone, so I just plugged it in. When I did so, I happily noted that the phone told me, "charging rapidly."

Well, great. I like a rapid charge, since it means I don't have to sit there for hours waiting for my phone to be usable. Heck, for all I know it takes the exact same amount of time, but since I think that it's charging rapidly, I'm content. In either case, I was happy to switch over to the new charger.

Fast forward a few months, and I needed to charge my phone on a random day, but the Mild Wife's phone charger was closer than mine. I don't remember why mine was out of reach, but it involved an extra walk to another room. So, out of sheer laziness, I asked the Mild Wife if I could borrow her charger. She consented, so I plugged it in.

Immediately, my phone greeted me with "Turbo power connected." My brain immediately did a double-take, since this was not a message I had seen before. Turbo power? What is that? Years of playing video games immediately made me suspect that this new charging mode was faster than my usual "rapid charge," so I sort of inspected it for a few minutes. Sure enough, my phone seemed to charge faster than usual.

As it turns out, my phone had a hidden secret when it came to the battery, and I discovered it entirely by accident. I have a turbo mode, y'all.

For a brief moment, I turned back into an eight year old, and I was picturing an old-school NES controller and a boost of speed/power on the screen. I can't even tell you what game or character I pictured, but I do know that I had a distinct mental image of pushing one of those red buttons on the NES controller. It was a brief moment of imagination, but I walked away with a fat grin on my face.

I can promise you that that won't be the last time I chuckle when plugging in my phone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...