Skip to main content

What Are the Odds?

For the most part, daily life is pretty mundane. I mean, it's not like you win a million dollars every other day, and most people don't get married twice a month. Sure, those exciting things happen to people, but they are the exception, not the rule. On the daily, I get up early, make and consume breakfast, go to work, have lunch, hang out with the Mild Wife, have dinner, and go to bed. Sure, I have fun during those events, but it's basically a lot of the same, over and over again.

The interesting thing about that all is that it is not at all boring. For all that much of it is repetitive, the company makes a huge difference, and we managed to find our chuckles throughout it all. Heck, this blog is a testament to the fact that we can still find a little bit of amusement at least once a week.

Today's post is a prime example of that. The Mild Wife and I were having dinner, just going through the motions of eating and chatting. She handed me a bowl of food, much like she has done hundreds, if not thousands of times. There was nothing particularly special about this interaction, she just held a bowl out and I grabbed it.

This time, however, something happened in that exchange, and I fumbled the hand-off. Instead of putting down the bowl in front of me as I had intended, it clattered to the table and spilled its contents. However, instead of breaking (thankfully), the bowl landed in one piece, completely upside down. Yup, I mean exactly upside down:

A dramatization

Remember, there was food in that bowl, so I knew that there was a mess underneath. Still, that was a round bowl that did not roll, did not tip or bounce, and did not end up on the ground. Somehow, it managed to land in the one improbable way that would contain the ensuing mess.

In fact, it was so unexpected that I remember looking at the Mild Wife incredulously before moving to grab some paper towels. For a beat, we just sort of stared at each other in disbelief. What were the odds of this happening? In all the years that the Mild Wife and I have been together and lived together, this had never happened. We've managed to spill things before and even chip/crack dishes before, but this was a unique experience. So, I sort of stared at it.

That said, eventually the adult in me took over, and I moved to grab cleaning supplies. I had, after all, spilled food onto the table. But for a brief, hilarious moment, I managed to inject a little bit of awe into our lives by dropping a bowl.

As far as I'm concerned, though, that's going to be a once-in-a-lifetime event, because I'm not planning on fumbling bowls in order to recreate the circumstances that led to this. Life sure does have a way of popping up with random things when you least expect them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...