Skip to main content

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved.

Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time.

Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phone, and both work equally well. However, it gets a little trickier if I have to leave the oven on for 20 minutes, but I have to turn the contents of a tray after 10 minutes. Sure, I could set the timer for 10 minutes, turn the food, and then set another timer for 10 minutes. That's a perfectly valid solution, and it accomplishes the goal. However, it takes a few extra steps, so there's always a nagging sense that there is a better way.

This is where my use of phone games has become helpful once again. I've discovered that it may take be a while to complete some quests, but on one of those games, it takes me roughly 5 minutes to complete a match. It's not precise to the second, but on average, it comes out to about 5 minutes. In essence, my brain knows that waiting 5 minutes is a solved problem.

So, if I want to wait some multiple of 5 minutes, I really just have to play my phone game a few times. This is especially useful since I rarely need more than about a 10 minute wait (if I did, I'd walk away and do something else while I waited).

Remember that scenario about having to turn the food in the oven? That simplifies to turning on the oven, sticking the food in, setting a timer for 20 minutes, playing my phone game twice, turning the food, then waiting for the only timer I set. It cuts out some steps, so I don't have to fiddle with the stove twice, nor do I have to wait for two different timers. And since I was likely going to play at some point anyway, it just makes that use of time more productive. All in all, it feels like a win.

I have to say, I'm highly amused at this turn at events, since I never thought I'd be using a phone game as a cooking tool. Still, the proof is in the pudding, so I'm going to keep doing this. I'm probably going to chuckle every other time I do it, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

An Excursion: Getting Home

So, in the ongoing saga that I have been writing about the last few weeks, a perfect storm of random occurrences led me to taking a trip to the office. Once there, I went about my day, but leaving led me to wander through a mine field of geese and goose droppings . Incidentally, I also happened to mention this to my coworkers, and one of them introduced me to the nickname that Canadian geese sometimes go by: the " cobra chicken ." All in all, that one day led to much hilarity. Still, at this point in our tale, I wasn't home yet. The Mild Wife was out and about that day, so we had agreed to carpool. I was going to hop on the bus, and she would pick me up from a BART station. We've actually done this a bunch, and it had become my go-to means of transportation before the pandemic started. It saved me from having to deal with rush hour traffic, so I was actually a big fan of this process. I expected far less traffic on this day, but even so, it was a sound plan so that...