Skip to main content

Ride of Shame

When it comes to the vanpool, all of the riders are creatures of habit. Sometimes, we get off at a different stop in the afternoon, because we have dinner plans, kids to pick up, classes to attend, or have to be somewhere other than home. The morning is usually far more stable, though. People rarely change where they get on. In all of the time I've been riding, I've seen someone get on at a different stop a handful of times, at most.

What absolutely never happens, though, is someone getting on across town. Until now, that is. This guy about my age (that detail will become important to the tale in a moment, promise) normally hops on somewhere near the Glen Park BART station. On the morning in question, though, he strolls up to the van near the outer sunset. That's a good 20-25 minute drive away, and it's not exactly a straight shot, either.

Odd, but I didn't really say anything. I greeted the guy, and hopped into the back where I usually ride. He, too, opted to ride in the back. Oh, and he told me not to say anything, so that others wouldn't question his choice of stops. Curiouser and curiouser, but sure, I'll play along.

The plan actually worked ... a little too well. When we got to the last pick up spot before leaving the city, someone asked if we had seen him. At that point, he piped up, but that led to a round of questioning about when he got on, why the change, etc. The response was brilliant:

"Oh, I had to go to a friend's house to work on a project ... or something"

Now, I'll cut the guy a tiny bit of slack because it was 6AM, and clearly he'd had a long night. But wow, did that not help with the teasing. I was trying to be good up until that point, but I couldn't resist any longer, so I cracked a few jokes.

Anyhow, the peanut gallery died down & we all settled into our usual routine (read: we all fell asleep). We got to work, and since we work in buildings that are close to each other, we start walking in the same direction. That five minute walk was enough for this second gem:

Me: "No breakfast for you today?"
Him: "Nah, too tired. And I need to shower up first."

I'm amazed I didn't break into a sudden outburst of laughter right then and there. But since I'm mature and all, I managed to contain it in a chuckle & a smirk. I did also warn him that he wasn't making it any easier to keep up the mature act.

To recap: the guy is in his twenties, he got on the van across town, he wanted to keep it quiet, he had a tiring night, he couldn't give a straight answer about where he'd been, and he hadn't showered. Now, I'll let you draw your own conclusions, but mine just happens to be in the title.

Which, incidentally, leads me to the lesson of the story: if you are going to partake in any shenanigans in the middle of the work week, I'd suggest showering/brushing your teeth/changing your shirt/grooming yourself enough that you can at least pretend you went home. It might save you a lot of teasing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...