Skip to main content

Helpful But Not 2

Remember when a guy decided to defend my dancing? The guy's heart was in the right place, but it just made me look bad.

Well, I think this lady at Costco just topped that. I had just finished working out, so I was a little sweaty from the exercise. It's not like I was dying by any means, but it usually takes me ten to fifteen minutes to completely cool down. I sweat a little bit for a few minutes until I cool down, and then everything is back to normal. From what I've gathered, this isn't completely unusual, so I don't usually think much of this fact. On this day, that changed.

See, I was making a quick run to Costco with a couple of female friends, and we had to pick up one item that was slightly larger. We didn't need tons of stuff, though, so we decided against a cart. That more or less left me to carry it, since I didn't really want to make them lug the thing around. Besides, they had other things they wanted to buy, so it gave them the freedom to browse/shop uninterrupted.

All was well with the world, until some lady saw us walking by, and stopped us. She wanted to know in which aisle said item was located, and she actually stopped to chat. I wasn't really part of the conversation, so I was just minding my business, holding the box, and cooling down a bit from the exercise.

Well, the lady noticed the perspiration, and said, "oh, get this poor boy a cart, he's sweating!" As someone who just finished lifting weights to try to get stronger, that was the last thing I wanted to hear. I'm not even sure if I can describe it as hurting my pride, it just made me feel sheepish. And the kicker of it all was that I wasn't actually suffering; I'd end up carrying that box for another fifteen minutes or so without any problems.

Still, the damage was done. I muttered something about having just finished working out, people laughed at me, and then we went about our business. Dammit. I think I'm going to start carrying a handkerchief or something to prevent this from happening again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...