Skip to main content

Repetition

I have a bad habit of listening to music over and over again. To a certain extent, we all do; sometimes you're in the mood for a certain type of music, so you'll listen to a particular song more frequently. For me, these moods can last for a couple of days, and I'll actually listen to one track a bunch in that period of time. This phenomenon is even more pronounced when I first discover a song I like, as I'm more likely to play it a bunch then. It's slightly neurotic, I know, but habits die hard.

Actually, I also tend to do this at work. I tend to work with headphones on, as the music helps me concentrate. Having the white noise helps me to concentrate, so I tend to play the same song over and over again. Since I end up hearing the same thing repeatedly, my mind naturally tends to drift away from the music. And since I'm still stuck in front of my computer with work to do, the end result is usually that I'll have a sharper focus on said work. I'm not saying it's the most intuitive plan, but it works for me.

Away from work, though, my brother probably gets it the worst, as he'll often overhear the music as I'm playing it. I remember at one point, he noticed I was playing the same song over and over again, and he commented, "cool, thanks. It's been a whole 3 or 4 hours since I last heard that." Yeah, I had that coming. In my defense, though, I slapped on some headphones and let the random function kick in on my music player.

And on second thought, I don't feel nearly as bad about this because he had it coming. Why, you ask? He ruined My Girl for me. How, you ask? He made that the ring tone for his girlfriend-turned-fiance-turned-wife's phone number. On the one hand, it's a sweet thing to do. On the other hand, they talked every single night, and I'd probably hear that song at least a couple of times each night. I'd hear at least the first few bars of the Temptations every single night, multiple times. And this went on for years.

I used to like that song. It's a classic, and it's fun in its own way. It was one of those songs that I'd hear, and I'd crack a smile. Now? Not so much. It's played out in my mind, and it's just not special anymore. *sigh*

So, I think I'm going to keep up my habit of playing the same song. It does me good (the concentration thing), and I figure turn about is fair play.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...