Skip to main content

Little Kids Are Awesome 2

If you've been following the blog for any amount of time, you know that it's pretty common for me to be around little kids. And little kids tend to say & do things that are comical. Like I said the first time I blogged about this, it's not that I'm making fun of them. No, they just don't know their way around the world yet, and they say things that reflect this.

Often times, this results in pure comedy. For example:
  • Me: "Hey [Kid], I heard you went to school. What'd you guys learn?"
    Kid: "Nothing"

    Way to go California educational system.
  • Kid: "Ew! I'm not eating that!"
    Mom: "And why exactly is that?"
    Kid: "That's dirty rice"
    Mom: "No, [Kid], that's brown rice."
    Kid: "I don't want to eat dirty rice, tia"

    Honestly, I probably though something very similar when I first encountered brown rice at the dinner table. And like this little girl, I ended up eating it, too; not finishing the food on your plate was a cardinal sin at my house.
  • Brother: "Hey, your homework looks wrong. Number 2 is wrong."
    Kid: "No, it's not!"
    Brother: "Yeah, it is, the numbers don't add up."
    Kid: "What?! Of course they do. YOU don't know how to do math!"

    Getting defensive like that instead of wanting to learn is all sorts bad. But the manner in which she did that just flat out made me laugh. No hesitation, no fear, no shame, she just comes out firing. Awesome.
  • Brother: "Hey, that one looks wrong, too."
    Kid: "Can't you just let me get one wrong?"

    Yup, same kid.
  • Kid's mom: "Hey, you have to go upstairs"
    Kid: "I don't wanna"
    Kid's mom: "Sure you do. Don't you want to see Sam? He's up there"
    Kid: "Yeah! He's funny!"

    Mind you, this little girl is barely 2 years old. Half the time, when I talk to her, her response is "I-ono" (she says it just like that, too). She has absolutely no idea what funny means, which means that a 2 year old just made fun of me.
  • Me: "Hey [Kid], how old are you?"
    Kid: "Three and three quarters"
    Me: "Really? When's your birthday?"
    Kid: "It's [one month from now]"
    Me: "Huh? That's not three and three quarters ... "
    Kid: "Yes it is! My mommy said so."
    Me: *grumbles* "Fine ..."

    For a little kid, "my mommy said so" is just about the ultimate trump card. I'm not about to go ruining that innocence over two months and a little bit of math. Good thing she didn't get smug about being "right", though. Otherwise, it would've been on.
  • (My dad kisses my mom on the cheek)
    Kid: "No! Tio don't kiss tia!"

    These kids get really jealous sometimes. My brother once made a little girl cry by daring to insinuate that the kid's "tia" (what the kids call my mom) was actually his mother, as well.
I swear, it never gets old. You play with the kids for a little bit, you read to them on occasion, you teach them stuff, and they reward you with sheer comedy. Pretty even trade, if you ask me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...