Skip to main content

Surprisingly Psychic

I tend to joke around a lot with most of my friends, and anyone who has known me for any extended period of time knows why I call myself a smartass at times. Not surprisingly, it's not uncommon for me to tease someone about random things. It's not malicious, just some friendly ribbing. Of course, with good friends, there are far fewer things that are off-limits, so it gets even more interesting.

Take my old friend from middle school. We're both grown men with the trappings that come with being full-blown adults now, but that doesn't stop some good-natured teasing back and forth. A few of us guys were over at his house one night, and we were generally goofing off. His wife was right there with us for most of the night, but by about midnight she complained of a combination of fatigue and not quite feeling right. Bummed that she had to leave the merry-making, we wished her a good night and turned down the volume on said merry-making (I did ask if we should just call it a night, but this plan was vetoed). Anyhow, out of concern, we asked if this was a recent illness, but our buddy waved it off as something that'd pass after some sleep. Me being me, I joked that maybe she was pregnant, and someone else immediately followed up with the "maybe it's a tumor" bit from Kindergarten Cop.

A few weeks later, my friend and I were playing basketball on the weekend. I asked if she was feeling any better, and he replied that she was still feeling a little out of it. Without any real conscious thought, I immediately quipped, "dude, what the heck did you give her?" He just looked at me funny for a second. I think he might have actually cocked his head to the side, in one of those classic I'm-trying-to-decide-what-to-make-of-this poses.

Him: "Um, she's pregnant, man."
Me: "Oh. So THAT'S what you gave her. Congrats."

Even better, my buddy confided that after we left that first night, he thought I somehow magically knew the state of his wife's womb. Since they hadn't really told anyone, this was the cause of some minor concern; they didn't want me to blab to everyone I knew. His wife, however, reassured him that I was just messing with him (female intuition or nerves of steel, you decide), and that all would be right in the world. They did finally make an announcement, too, so my insider knowledge wasn't on the inside any more.

In the end, it all worked out, and I got a funny story out of it. Still, I'm an accidental psychic. Awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...