Skip to main content

Um ... Yay?

A few years back, I took a trip to London. I'd never been there before, and one of my friends happened to be studying abroad there, so I had a place to crash. We even managed to squeeze in a weekend trip to the mainland, so all in all, it worked out well. Well, with maybe one small exception.

My friend was single at the time, so she was dealing with some of the usual dating routines. As it happened, there was a guy who was interested in her, but she wasn't interested. I heard all about it during the course of the trip, so I was well aware of this guy's intentions. Well, my friend and I were getting ready to go out one night, when this guy suddenly started messaging her. Me being a guy, I had already gotten dressed, and I was more or less waiting around for her. At that particular moment, she didn't have the energy or patience to deal with him. So, she did the only reasonable thing she could: she handed me her laptop, and told me to make him go away.

Not wanting to be an out-and-out jerk, I figured I'd just make fun of the guy a bit (as opposed to making a scene). Seriously, I just harassed him, thinking that it'd be obvious she wasn't interested if she was actively making fun of him. I've occasionally been known to partake in some ribbing, so I can be halfway decent at it, if pressed. Eventually, my friend was ready to go out, and she came out to see what kind of damage I had done. She looked over my handiwork, laughed heartily, and approved. We went on our merry way, forgetting all about it.

Well, it turns out that somehow all of that made him like her even MORE. I was all manners of confused by this turn of events, but that's what actually happened. Needless to say, that particular friend still makes fun of me to this day about this turn of events.

Fast forward a few years, and I walked in with a different friend to a new lunch spot. We both happened to recognize the owner, and according to my friend, "his eyes absolutely lit up when you walked in. I was chopped liver standing next to you." I'm not entirely convinced that this is what actually happened, especially since this particular friend likes to mess with me when the opportunity arises. It's not like the guy suddenly hit on me or anything, but still, my friend said what he said, between fits of laughter.

Anyhow, I was telling someone about all of this. I kid you not, without missing a beat, she replied with, "maybe you're just more attractive to men than you realize" (at this point, I may have to resort to befriending people with slower wits). And with that comment, we come full circle back to the title of this post. Yay me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...