Skip to main content

A Second Dilemma

Once, a long time ago, when I was a poor college kid, I decided to shave my head instead of getting a haircut. I don't entirely remember the whole thought process involved, but I do definitely remember thinking that it'd be cheaper. I mean, a cheap set of clippers was way cheaper than paying 15ish bucks every few weeks. It didn't look crappy or anything, so I stuck to this plan.

Fast forward a few years, and I'd been shaving my head for a while. I'd very much gotten used to the whole process, and I didn't think anything of it. However, I'd just started working for a new supervisor at the time, and HE wasn't used to the process. My hair was a little shaggy when I first started working for him, so a couple of weeks after, I shaved my head. Upon walking in to his office, he looked up, and immediately asked, "what'd you do? Lose a bet?" Yeah, it went like that.

Anyhow, the point is that I've shaved my head for a while, and it has always caused a few laughs. Recently, though, it has become the cause of consternation. See, my hair was starting to get a little shaggy, so I needed to shave my head. However, I was also planning a trip to a cold climate almost immediately after. I had a natural inclination to shave my head, but I was also mildly concerned that I would be cold without the protection that hair would provide.

I seriously went back and forth on my plan of attack a couple of times, trying to figure out how to deal with my hair. The worst part, though, was that inaction was basically a decision. I couldn't just put it off and then come back to it later. Every day I waited was basically pushing me towards keeping the hair. Otherwise, I was just going to have even less hair in the cold climate when it did grow back.

However, I did ultimately give in to routine, and I shaved my head. Of course, once the decision was made, I could only sit and wait until I showed up in the cold climate. This only added an element of fear to the trip. I had no choice but to suffer in mental anguish, waiting for the discomfort that was very likely to come.

I lead a rough life, I tell you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

An Excursion: Getting Home

So, in the ongoing saga that I have been writing about the last few weeks, a perfect storm of random occurrences led me to taking a trip to the office. Once there, I went about my day, but leaving led me to wander through a mine field of geese and goose droppings . Incidentally, I also happened to mention this to my coworkers, and one of them introduced me to the nickname that Canadian geese sometimes go by: the " cobra chicken ." All in all, that one day led to much hilarity. Still, at this point in our tale, I wasn't home yet. The Mild Wife was out and about that day, so we had agreed to carpool. I was going to hop on the bus, and she would pick me up from a BART station. We've actually done this a bunch, and it had become my go-to means of transportation before the pandemic started. It saved me from having to deal with rush hour traffic, so I was actually a big fan of this process. I expected far less traffic on this day, but even so, it was a sound plan so that...