Skip to main content

Burn!

I think I've mentioned before that people in my family tend to have a sense of humor, so you'd darn well better have one if you want to run with us. Most people have no problem playing along, and over time, good family friends and significant others get in on the act, too. Sometimes a little too well.

Let's start this story chronologically, with my brother. A long time back, he was spending some time with his in-laws, and he joked to his mother-in-law that she was his favorite mother-in-law. Technically, this was a true fact. However, she didn't exactly have much competition.

His mother-in-law momentarily forgot this fact, so she was flattered. My brother's wife, however, knew that it was a joke, so she politely pointed out how many mother-in-laws my brother had (one). Everyone had a good laugh, and it turned in to a fun story.

Fast forward a few months, and somehow this story came up at dinner one night with my sister and her husband. Everyone chuckled. Me being me, I joked to my sister's husband that that made him my mother's favorite son-in-law. Cue more chuckles.

Without missing a beat, he said to me, "well, I am so far. Hopefully it stays that way, but that's on you, Sam." Dammit, he got me good. I laughed and tipped my metaphorical cap to him for a well-played joke.

My sister's reaction, however, summed it up perfectly: "Ooooh! Burn!" She then proceeded to give her husband a high-five with a look of pure glee on her face.

I'm going to have to be more careful around these folks. They've adapted a little too well, methinks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...