Skip to main content

The Frenemy

If you've never heard of the word "frenemy" before, it's a combination of the words "friend" and "enemy." The basic idea is that the person in question elicits both positive and negative emotions. This has always seemed like one of those things that I would see on TV, but would never actually witness in person. Turns out I was wrong. I have now witnessed this phenomenon in person.

I was visiting my sister a while back, and I was browsing through Facebook at the time. I came across a picture of a friend of mine who was wearing a shirt that my sister happened to own, so I pointed it out. My sister's initial reaction was something along the lines of, "cool, she's got good taste." However, the friend had modified the original shirt a bit; she'd cut it up to fit her style a little more. I thought it looked fine, but my sister was not amused. Quickly, her reaction turned to, "wait, what?" In hindsight, I should've noticed that this was classic frenemy signs.

A day later, I happened to be exchanging text messages with said friend. Now, I use Google Voice, so I can, and do, send text messages from a web interface. Basically, I don't need to use my phone in order to send text messages. On this particular occasion, I was using a tablet to send these text messages. What I didn't account for, though, was that incoming text messages would result in a small notification sound. My sister heard this sound, and she asked what the heck was making that sound.

I explained the source of the sound. As soon as my sister realized it was the same shirt-wearing friend as the one in the picture, her fate was sealed. She was officially a frenemy. I laughed pretty hard at this, since it was amusing as all heck to see someone actually described that way. That made it even worse, since that turned it into a running gag. Over the course of my stay with my sister, she would occasionally ask about her frenemy, and I couldn't help but laugh each time. Mind you, I also turned off that notification sound pretty darn quickly.

All in all, though, I witnessed a sitcom scenario come to life, all thanks to a shirt and some text messages. I'm going to call that a win in my book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...