Skip to main content

The Accidental Hike

I've been going on a lot of hikes lately. I've always liked being outdoors, and it helps keep me in passable shape. All in all, I don't think it's all that bad a deal, so I try to do it as much as possible. And as it turns out, I know quite a few like-minded people, so I've had plenty of opportunity to enjoy this particular activity in the last few months. In fact, I've enjoyed it so many times lately that it's led to all manner of shenanigans.

Fittingly enough, an old coworker of mine actually started up a series of summer hikes. At some point, someone forwarded it to a friend, and she then forwarded the invitation to me. Long story short, I ended up hiking with some coworkers. That whole series has been interesting, to say the least. The first time I did it, I carpooled with someone from work, but we were running late. That meant we had to hustle to try to catch up with the rest of the group. She assured me that this was feasible, but she neglected to tell me that the very first part of the trail was a steep uphill climb. I don't mean that we walked a quarter mile in a slope and then we hit a hill. No, we stepped onto the trail, and about six steps later, we were climbing up a very noticeable incline. That was fun. (For the curious amongst you, we did manage to catch up to the rest of the group)

A couple of weeks following that, a couple of people that went on these hikes decided that the trail itself wasn't challenging enough. So they decided to run a mile before even getting to the hike. I was riding with these people, so I decided to join them. I was driving so I could have very easily skipped out, but somehow that seemed ... antisocial? Or maybe that's not the right word, but it seemed like I should partake. Regardless, there I was, pregaming a hike by running. I couldn't help but laugh at myself for that.

My favorite hiking-related story, though, involves a weekend hike with the Mild Ex. She and I have started going on periodic hikes throughout the area. It's an activity we both enjoy, so we even bought a book that lists trails to which we can easily drive. The book has been incredibly helpful, since it lists some trails that I'd never have considered otherwise. On one such occasion, the Mild Ex picked out a hike, we both decided it looked promising, and we headed out. As I pulled up to the parking area, though, I started to get a little bit of deja vu. When we got to the trail head, the feeling got stronger, and I started to suspect that I'd somehow been there before. And when we reached the halfway point, I definitely knew that I'd seen this trail before.

You see, I'd gone hiking with a large group many months ago, but I hadn't done any of the planning. In fact, we'd carpooled up to the trail, so I didn't even have to worry about driving. All I'd had to do was get to a friend's house. That meant that I didn't exactly remember the name of the trail. So when the Mild Ex and I looked through our handy hiking book, I didn't recognize the name, even though I'd already hiked it once before. I felt pretty sheepish when I realized that I'd completely missed that detail, though it also helped because I knew where to go (last time, we inadvertently added an extra couple of miles by taking the long way back).

Still, the hiking thing has helped me get some exercise in, and it's led to plenty of laughs along the way. I'm going to have to keep it up, I think. It seems to give me all sorts of material to write about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...