Skip to main content

International Man of Mystery

As it turns out, people occasionally come up with some pretty interesting theories about me. So far, I've had people darn near accuse me of being in the military and ask me if I secretly teach math for a living. For the most part, this usually happens because people don't know me very well. In those two examples, the people asking me these things were either people I didn't know, or those whom I had just met. So, I just laughed it off.

Recently, though, I've had people I work with fairly consistently come up with a few entries to this list. Remember, some of these people have interacted with me on a daily basis for years. And even if I haven't talked to them directly every single one of those days, we work in an open environment where other people can overhear conversations. Even snippets of conversations give you a pretty good idea of what someone's about if you hear enough of them.

The first one is actually an oldie but a goodie. A couple of folks I see in the office had no idea how old I was. They thought I was about 7 or 8 years younger than I actually am. Yes, yes, I realize that this is a compliment. I'm not exactly complaining. But if you've heard me talk about working in a different group about a decade ago, it's a pretty safe bet that I've been out of college for more than a couple of years. In fact, one other coworker said pretty much the same thing. We all had a good laugh after that.

The second one, however, is far less excusable. As I've mentioned before, I shave my head. I have been doing this since my college days, but I can find a blog post as old as 2009 talking about coworkers and my hair style. My point is, this is nothing new. If you've run into me any time in the last few years, you've almost certainly seen me without much hair. So, you'd think the people in the group for which I've worked for the last few years to know this about me. You would think right, with one very notable exception.

This guy walked into the office, saw me sitting at my desk, and asked me, "are you okay?!" In his mind, he thought I'd just gone through chemo or something. Mind you, he was the only one to question my health, so it's not like I looked deathly ill. I wasn't sneezing because of allergies, fighting off a cold, or otherwise less than healthy. Nope, it was just a regular old day. And the guy thought something was wrong because I had shaved my head.

Remember, this is someone who has been in and around my general vicinity for multiple years. You'd think that at some point during that stretch, he would've glanced at my head. Alas, no.

However, I'm starting to think that I should just run with it. Instead of being surprised by the interesting theories, I should encourage them. That way, I can build up an intrigue around myself. Pretty soon, people will be telling stories about how I killed a man during a vacation. Who's going  to be mean to me then? International man of mystery, here I come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...