Skip to main content

On the Courts 2

A very long time ago, I wrote about some adventures on a basketball court. Well, I randomly decided to go that same basketball court recently, and ... here I am, writing another blog post.

First of all, those older gentlemen were still there. And they were still heaving half court shots with wild abandon. I wrote that blog post roughly 4 years ago, and they were still there when I stepped foot on that court recently. Based on how comfortable they were running around there, I'm assuming they've been doing this pretty consistently since I wrote that first blog post. Think about that: they have been heaving half court shots just for grins for 4 years straight. That, my friends, is what winning at life looks like.

I immediately noticed them when I got there, so I chuckled to myself a little bit. However, this time, I noticed a few extra details. For example, one of the guys was wearing white gloves. We're not talking Michael Jackson sequined gloves or anything, but they were white gloves nevertheless. So this guy was shooting half court shots in style.

As it turns out, a couple of the other guys also happened to have gloves on, and I quickly realized that they didn't want to get their hands dirty. After all, you're bouncing a ball on an outdoor court. It is bound to pick up dirt and other grime from the ground. These guys solved that problem by throwing on some gloves. Who cared if that impeded their ability to dribble the ball? They were there to goof off and get some exercise, not to play competitively.

Well, almost.

At one point, some younger guy showed up. He must've known these guys, because he shot around with them a bit. He then challenged one of them to a game. I don't know what they were playing, but they were definitely playing against each other. I actually wasn't paying much attention at that point, but it vaguely resembled H-O-R-S-E. I couldn't quite tell what was going on, but from the glimpses of the game I saw, it wasn't exactly super competitive. But the older guy didn't care. He laughed it off, and he kept right on keeping on.

And as soon as the younger guy left, he went right back to heaving shots from half court. I didn't see any hook shots this time around, but there was still quite a bit of merriment to be had. This only doubles my conviction for this item on my bucket list: sometime after I retire, I will heave half court shots without a care in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...