Skip to main content

Smurf

In a way, this blog post almost feels like cheating. I covered the basic outline of the story over on the CrossFit blog I maintain, so I know roughly what I'm going to write. However, there's a bunch more background and lead-up to the story there, plus a highly amusing epilogue. So, I figured there was enough "bonus" material to warrant its own blog post here.

First, let's start with the setting. I go to a CrossFit class at work, and I have for a while. In fact, I've written about it once or twice here, because it leads to a good number of laughs. Well, because I've known these folks for a while, two things have happened. First, I've become friends with a bunch of the people, from the coach and his wife to a bunch of the people in the class. Secondly, because I've been going for so long, I'm something like one of the senpais. In short, I'm something like one of the "senior" students who can help mentor or fill in under the right circumstances.

Because I am someone who's been around a few times, though, that means people have no qualms with cracking jokes at my expense. That includes our coach, who will occasionally say things like, "don't cheat on these reps like Sam used to" or "don't take this the wrong way, but you have a smaller range of motion." It's all in fun, and I've never once been offended by any of it. It's all good-natured ribbing.

Anyhow, one of the things that the CrossFit community does is do tough work outs in honor of soldiers or law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty. These are commonly referred to as Hero WODs (Workout Of the Day). The folks at our work gym aren't all that different in that regard, and we wanted to pay our respects by doing one of these after Memorial Day. So, we asked to do our own version of Murph. I say "our own version" because we don't have the proper set up to do large numbers of pull ups with a bunch of people, nor can we easily run outside to run a mile. We knew we'd have to modify it a bit, but it was the same workout in spirit.

Well, on the day of, our coach needed to bail because of a family emergency. He passed along the workout to us, and left it in our hands to do the work out. There are several people who have been around long enough that it's not a big deal. That includes me, mind you.

Now, I've never done Murph proper, so I looked it up. The link above is actually from the main CrossFit headquarters site. I figured we could just follow that, we couldn't go wrong. I mean, sure, we were substituting some exercises, but it's not like we were changing the number of reps per exercise or adding in any other restrictions.

So, when it came time to explain the WOD to our class, I piped up. That link says it's okay to partition up the pull ups, push ups, and squats. So, I said as much to the class. I would later find out that this sounded wrong to one of the other senior members of our class, but she chose not to question me. It was still a really good workout (doing 300 of anything as fast as you can will do that to you), but we basically did it that way on my say-so.

Well, I was wrong. Our coach didn't want us to split up the exercises. He wanted us to do all of one exercise first, then all of the second exercise, and so on. Normally, it's okay to split it up. But since we were already substituting exercises and the substitutions were arguably easier, he wanted us to keep it all together. That'd keep some of the intensity intact. In fact, he quickly dubbed the version we'd done "Smurf" instead of "Murph."

Remember, we did it that way because I said it was okay. Also, our coach is the same person who likes to give me crap for having a shorter range of motion. I knew he wasn't referring to me being short in this case, but the timing was too good. I cracked up when I saw all of the emails about this. In fact, I was laughing to myself for pretty much the whole afternoon. I really was that amused.

In fact, I was so amused that I shared this exchange with the coach's wife on Facebook. She also does CrossFit, and she used to come down to our class, as well, so she knows some of the folks involved. I was amused as all heck, so I tagged our coach, too. I wasn't trying to tattle on him, I was letting him in on the joke. That led to the following exchange, roughly paraphrased:

Me: "Haha, Coach said we did Smurf instead of Murph. And it had nothing to do with me being short!"
Coach: "That's not what I meant! That's hilarious, but not what I meant!"
Coach's Wife: "I'm so going to kick him in the shins for that"

I had a very hard time being serious about work for the rest of the day after that. I'm not even kidding, I still chuckled about it the next morning. Hell, I'm having a hard time keeping a straight face when writing about it now.

Who knew that exercise could be this funny?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...