Skip to main content

Matabang

The Mild Fiancée and I have a very interesting relationship to food. Between the two of us, we will eat just about anything and seek out interesting food. We also spend time a good amount of time cooking an interesting diet, so things are never very dull in our kitchen or at our table. Basically, there's always a laugh or two to be had.

The latest turn of events is that we've noticed that the Mild Fiancée likes to season her food a bit more than I do. Neither of us add so much that the food tastes bad, but it's readily apparent who adds more spices to the food. I don't just say that to avoid getting dirty looks; other people have complimented the Mild Fiancée's cooking for a very long time. She knows what she's doing in the kitchen.

So, perhaps it's more appropriate to say that I add less seasoning to the food than the Mild Fiancée. I appreciate flavor as much as the next person, but I just prefer a bit less seasoning. There's no accounting for preferences, I suppose. Of course, it didn't take very long for us to realize this fact about our cooking, so there has been so friendly ribbing over this. I poke fun about the Mild Fiancée's extra seasoning, and she accuses my cooking of being bland. Specifically, she uses the Kapampangan word for "flavorless," matabang. Let's just say that the word has been used in enough jokes that I now remember it.

Better yet, the whole thing came up when we stopped by to visit the Mild Fiancée's parents. The Mild Fiancée and I had gone to a Filipino restaurant that we really liked, largely because they did a really good job of seasoning the food. Unfortunately, it's far too common to find places that simply throw seasoning at the food, so that it ends up tasty too greasy, too salty, or too something. We had been very impressed with that food, so we were recommending it to her folks. That's when they threw out this gem:

Parents: "But, [Mild Fiancée], you like the food matabang."

I couldn't help it, I just started laughing. When I caught the Mild Fiancée's eye, she immediately knew why I was laughing, and she had to explain to her folks the backstory. I don't remember the exact comment, but it was something along the lines of, "you think I'm bad? He likes it WAY bland." The tone in her voice was probably the best part. It was part accusatory, part pleading, part conspiratorial, and all laughter. Everyone had a good, hearty laugh about this (myself included).

Who knew learning bits and pieces of another language would be this much fun?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...