Skip to main content

(Fantasy) Game On 4

It's that time of year again when footballs are flying. Yup, the NFL is back.

Actually, it has been for a few months now. So, you might be curious why I bring it up at this particular moment. Well, we've been playing fantasy football again this season, so there's another amusing story.

First of all, I should mention that the Mild Wife and I aren't doing as well this year as last year. We're both somewhere near the middle of the pack, but we both had a pretty bad start to the year. I think at one point, I was at the bottom of the standings. What can I say? Some years, you just have some bad luck.

Now, it's not like I can personally give these guys pep talks or otherwise control their performance, either. Ultimately, I just have to pick players and hope for the best. Even players who everyone expects to perform admirably sometimes have off years, so there's definitely an element of luck to the whole thing.

Still, that hasn't stopped a whole industry from popping up around this hobby. As of four years ago, the industry was estimated to be worth about $70 billion dollars. And I'm absolutely positive that the industry has only grown since then. Given that, it shouldn't surprise you that people run all sorts of statistical models and try to wean numerical advantages from these fantasy teams. Seriously. I know a few people who actually do this. They are very smart, very competitive people that happen to like fantasy football.

The sites that run fantasy football leagues can do this, too, so they tend to provide some of this analysis for their players. It helps remove the barrier to entry, so everyone can feel like they can play and have a shot to win. From a pure business perspective, it's smart. It widens the pool of people who want to play.

Now, remember that the Mild Wife was new to the whole fantasy football thing last year. She was precisely the sort of person that would benefit from the industry-provided projections and statistical analysis. If you remember the post from last year, that's what she did. In fact, she rode those projections to the top of the standings and to an ultimate championship in her rookie year. Yup, she won the whole darn thing.

As I mentioned, however, this year is a different story. That's led to my favorite remark about the different outcomes this year:

Mild Wife: "Whoever is doing the projections this year is no good. They need to bring back last year's person."

I burst out laughing when I heard that. Clearly, she's grasped the value of using data science to win at fantasy football. Incidentally, if any of you are up-and-coming data scientists, might I suggest a future with ESPN's fantasy football division?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...