Skip to main content

Flight Snacks

I've had pretty good luck when it comes to snacks at the airport, largely due to the Mild Wife's planning. In case you were too lazy to click on that last link, the Mild Wife both made and packed us some pizza to munch on during the whole airport process. I was both thoroughly amused and very content about my snacks. Put it this way: my exact description of the pizza was "breakfast of champions" and my exact description of the Mild Wife was "she's kind of awesome like that."

This time around, though, I had a much different experience with airline snacks, but one that made me laugh just as much.

First, let me set the scene: I was traveling on Halloween, to one of the smaller airports in the U.S. The actual location wasn't really all that important, but the two bits of information I just gave meant that the flight wasn't particularly full. In fact, it seemed like the flight was maybe half full. We were all just glad that we had more leg room and could lounge as comfortably as we wanted in the seats (relatively speaking, of course).

At some point, though, the flight attendants passed around the in-flight snacks. Typically, this is a small bag of peanuts or crackers of some sort. I'm not entirely sure why this is the snack of choice, but I've seen it on enough flights to recognize it as the thing that you get when on a flight (side note: I once read that food tastes bad/bland on airplanes in part because you don't smell so well at altitude. It may or may not be true, but I do wonder if that fact drives the choice of snacks towards the peanuts because of their flavor).

The other typical portion of the in-flight snack is a beverage of some sort. You ask for a beverage, and they then provide you with a single cup of said drink. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get refills before. Basically, just enough to wash down the peanuts/crackers.

I should have realized things were going to be on this flight when I heard what the flight attendant was saying to people as he walked by. Instead of something like, "would you like some peanuts?" he was asking people "you want some of this?" I thought it was funny, and I chuckled. I'm not quite sure what I thought was happening, but I just figured he was trying to be entertaining.

As it turns out, he was asking that because he had way more than enough for the entire flight. So, when I responded to his question in the affirmative, he just dumped a fist full of snacks onto my tray. There were so many bags that some of them started to spill on to the seat next to me. There was no one in that seat, but it still made me scramble to make sure nothing fell even further.

It was the same basic story with the drink. Rather than just get a small cup's worth of ginger ale, they gave me the whole can. Not only was I allowed more than my usual allotment, I could serve myself the second and third portions. Talk about living it up.

My favorite part was just how the whole thing looked. In fact, I was so amused about it that I showed the Mild Wife a picture of the whole thing:

Yup, I had a full blown stash to myself. There was no way that I was going to finish the whole thing in one (literal) sitting, so I ended up packing some of it away. As the lady a couple of seats away from me mentioned, "I guess I have a snack stash now."

A snack stash indeed. Apparently flights on Halloween can be quite entertaining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...