Skip to main content

Holiday Neighbors

One of the joys of married life is figuring out how to celebrate the holidays together. Sure, we've both individually celebrated holidays before, but now we have a family of our own. We get to decide if we go anywhere for Memorial Day, we decide what kind of candy to pass out on Halloween, we figure out what to have for Thanksgiving dinner, and so on. Yes, some of that is a matter of having our own place, but even so, we're starting our own traditions.

Take last year, for example. For Halloween, we wanted to make sure that kids knew that we were passing out Halloween candy, so we put up this bad boy on our door:
That's like a bright orange bat symbol for trick or treaters
It was simple, but it got the job done. We had little kids knock on our door, and I passed out candy. In fact, the Mild Wife says I looked pretty happy doing it (there was a picture of the occasion, but I can't find it for the life of me).

I seem to remember being the only ones in our corner of the apartment complex, though. I don't remember tons of decorations, nor do I remember hearing knocks on other doors.

This year, however, is different. We have a couple of different neighbors now, and they seem to have fully embraced the holiday spirit. I saw all sorts of decorations for Halloween this year. There were decorations on doors, colorful green and purple stakes in the ground, cotton spiderwebs all over the fixtures, and all manner of Halloween-related paraphernalia. It was pretty cool to see.

Of course, this was also the year when the Halloween flight happened, and the Mild Wife was also unavailable. As cool as it was to see, the Mild Wife and I were out of the game. We were the slackers this year. And I swear, our neighbors kept adding more and more stuff every day, as if silently trying to peer pressure us into joining in on the holiday cheer.

Now, I would have been amused by all that, but I probably wouldn't have written a blog post about it. Sure, the neighbors put up more decorations than us, but that's not really a story. There's no punchline. It's just how the circumstances played out this year.

However, they didn't stop there. It seems like our neighbors are really getting into the swing of things, so they're keeping up the momentum. They didn't just stop with Halloween, they jumped right into Christmas decorations. Yes, Christmas. It's not even the middle of November yet, but there are Christmas lights up around here. They just up and skipped a major holiday, for the sake of putting up decorations.

The funniest bit, to me at least, is that they're still at it with the arms race of decorations. For about a week or so, I would come home to find that a different neighbor had added some other externally visible decoration or doodad. Again, it's not even mid-November today. These decorations were put up at least a week ago, so we're talking about getting into a decoration competition roughly two months before the actual holiday.

I can't wait to see what happens close to the actual Christmas day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...