Skip to main content

Menu Shenanigans

The Mild Wife and I are both fairly adventurous eaters. We both like trying new foods, and we're perfectly happy to eat something that we've never eaten before. Hell, we have a favorite squab place. Now, there are some foods that one or two of us doesn't like (in my case, bitter melon immediately comes to mind), but that list isn't particularly long. I'm also not sure that there are many foods that end up on both of our "don't like" lists, either.

The point is, it's usually not a big deal for us to go to a restaurant and see something on the menu that surprises us. Usually, we're willing to give it a shot. In my case, it's often a matter of, "well, when else am I ever going to get to try this?" Maybe I like it, maybe I hate it. However, I'll ultimately know from experience what to think. None of this trying to be a fortune teller with my taste buds, especially if I'm trying to judge combinations of foods and spices that I've never had before. That's sort of the point: it's new to me, so I have very little relevant experience from which to draw.

One of the interesting side effects of this is that the Mild Wife and I are usually intrigued by those takeout menus that show up in the mail or people leave on your door. We don't eat out all that much, but we do like checking out what the options are. You might as well have some interesting options when you do go out, y'know?

The latest one we received, however, had one very interesting section:
I've chopped off prices to protect the guilty
I, uh ... just ... what? I sent a picture of this to my siblings, too, and my favorite reaction was basically, "what the?" Yeah, I don't get it, either. I'm pretty sure you can't just grow a chicken on a vine.

As I was typing this up, it occurred to me that this was a case of a bad translation. I'm going to check with someone who reads Chinese (better than I can, at least) to see if there's actually some sense to this. Otherwise, I'm going to avoid that entire section altogether if I ever happen to step foot in that restaurant. I'm not sure I want to risk an aneurysm by thinking about it too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...