Skip to main content

Aneurysms

Lewis Black has this really funny bit about how he knows what causes aneurysms (starting around 1:35). Now, for this to make sense (or be funny), you have to realize that modern medicine doesn't claim to know what causes an aneurysm. However, this guy swears he knows what causes them: those facepalm-worthy things you hear in passing. The words rattle around in your head, causing you all sorts of consternation, until suddenly, you have a sudden bursting of your blood vessels.

Remember that as you read the rest of this.

Now, I am a very curious person. If I'm waiting in line to board a plane, I'm going to look at the controls to the little extending deck. If there are construction workers standing around discussing something, I try to guess what they're working on, and what their plan of attack will be. If someone says they know how to do something I don't, I start asking questions. You get the idea.

Sure, this sort of thing can happen just about any time, any where. It's just my luck, though, that I know someone who likes to make all sorts of assertions that seem a little questionable. Many of the individual words make sense, but often times the context or the combination of words rule out sensible explanations. That, however, is the problem. Because there are enough words that do make sense, I question what this person is saying. If it was blatantly wrong, I'd just brush it off as ignorance or stupidity. But since it's being passed off as knowledge instead, my curiosity kicks in.

Worse yet, this person has a tendency to sound a little bit like Bing TV commercials. It's sort of like he only hears little bits of conversation, and then he tries to relate to those bits of conversation. So, a discussion about the best way to get something done turns in to a discussion about an unrelated repository of oddities. That brought us no closer to getting our task done, but I now had a completely random, facepalm-worthy comment bouncing around in my head.

So, as it is, I'm already at increased risk of an aneurysm. The longer I spend in this person's vicinity, the greater the possibility that my brain is going to spontaneously explode. I've actually made that very same joke when talking to a friend.

Recently, though, I woke up and one of those questionable assertions was the very first thought that crossed my mind. Seriously. I woke up, remembered the aneurysm-causing thought, and then immediately thought, "huh? That can't be right." If you hear about something in my brain going wrong, you know why. Pray for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...

The Joys of Coding

I normally don't blog about what I do (I'm a software developer), because 1) I've already got a work blog that's more suited for that, and 2) I'm a software developer, so most of the time it's not amusing. Sure, I find it interesting, and I learn things every day. However, unless you already lean towards Computer Science, it's not going to be very amusing to you. So, for the sake of keeping my audience (all 4 of them) happy, I stay away. Today, I'm going to break that rule, because my work actually did cause mild amusement. So, without further ado ... I've got a deadline coming up fairly soon, so I've been coding away for the last few days. It's not busy enough where I'm stressing about it, but let's just say it's a little easier to concentrate on my work these days. In it of itself, that's not news-worthy, but because I've been more productive lately, I've also been generating more working code lately. That...

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...