Skip to main content

On Laughing

I have enough of a quirky sense of humor that I appreciate shenanigans and a little light mischief. I don't want anyone to get hurt or for things to break, but if there's a laugh to be had after an impish grin, I'm usually in. Heck, one of the reasons I like being around little kids is that they tend to do this sort of thing naturally. One might, hypothetically speaking, jump on sofa cushions that he's not supposed to. It's all pretty amusing to me.

I've known this about myself for a while, but the Mild Wife has had enough time to experience it to intuitively understand when my sense of mischief is about to kick in. What's more, since she experiences this as a spectator, she can notice little tells that I've never really noticed myself. Specifically, there is a little giggle/laugh thing I do that tips her off that some shenanigans are about to go down. It surprised me when she mentioned it, but it also made me crack up that I giggle to myself about the impending goofiness.

On more than one occasion, I have been looking at a laptop screen or otherwise dreaming up a scheme when the Mild Wife has called out, "what are you doing over there?" Occasionally, there is also an "oh, Lawd ..." that gets mixed in, because, again, she knows something goofy is coming. It never ceases to crack me up.

You want to know the best part? We were talking about it, and the Mild Wife suddenly had the epiphany that my giggle reminded her of something: the Pillsbury Doughboy laugh. I don't think it's a perfect one-to-one match, but the fact that one of my mannerisms is being compared to the Pillsbury Doughboy at all makes the whole thing even funnier to me. I laugh like he does when I'm about to engage in shenanigans.

Given this information, I either need to engage in more shenanigans or cut way back. I'm still trying to decide on which is the right course of action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...