Skip to main content

Guessing the Plot

One of the recent posts about movies (and the Mild Wife's reactions to watching one of the Lord of the Rings movies for the first time) reminded me that I have a very particular quirk when it comes to watching movies. Basically, I always try to guess the plot.

I'm not entirely sure why I think this is fun, but at the end of the day, I do. I think it may have something to do with my propensity for engineering brain, because plots seem like things that have to fit together in a particular way. So if I can understand what the author/screenwriter is trying to accomplish, I can try to piece together the way the movie might unfold. If you want a happy ending, make sure the knight rescues the princess. If you want a horror film, the princess was actually a demon in disguise and kills the knight at the end.

The other thing that probably leads to this guessing game is the fact that I try my hand at writing every so often. I imagine it's sort of like a chef who goes out to eat at a restaurant: you can, and do, appreciate other people's craft, but you also understand a bit of how it all gets put together. I figure you might be curious about how they cooked the vegetables to give them that texture, or what other ingredients they may have added to the house sauce.

Either way, I usually end up trying to guess at what might happen next in a particular show or movie. I usually keep this to myself because there's a chance I might be right, and other folks don't always appreciate spoilers being thrown their way. The Mild Wife, however, thinks this is pretty amusing, so she will often ask me to guess what I think is going to happen next.

The funniest bit for all of this, though, is that we sometimes watch cheesy romantic comedies (i.e., romcom's) when we stay in. Sure, we appreciate critically acclaimed movies with some thought up in there, but every now and then, we just want something very light-hearted. With these movies, it's actually a little bit easier to guess what's going to happen, because the genre is not exactly known for crazy plot twists. Still, the Mild Wife will play the "guess what happens next?" game with me even for the romcom's.

Like I said, the genre itself makes it a bit easier to guess what's coming next, so I tend to guess correctly more often for these. That has led the Mild Wife to joke that, "I could write romcom's." That's hardly my cup of tea as a writer, so the notion usually makes the Mild Wife and me giggle like mad. I'm not sure I could keep a straight face if I had to write flirting scenes or the declarations of love.

I think I may have to start guessing incorrectly more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...