Skip to main content

Top Three

For some reason, I find the "pick your top three" discussions pretty interesting. Heck, I wrote a whole blog post about having a new top contender in the dessert category. For me, the fun part about it isn't so much in hearing the actual decisions, it's in hearing the reasons why something is either in or out of that top three. Do you pick the item that you could eat every single day without ever getting bored of it or do you pick the one that's a delicacy that you almost never consume? Being forced to pick just three of something usually forces some interesting decisions about what you like (and don't like).

Incidentally, that's also why I dislike sub-categorizing the choices. Your top three American desserts is no fun, I want you to actively consider about whether you like apple pie or kanafeh better. It's even more interesting if the items are nothing at all like each other. Is cold, creamy ice cream a better choice than a warm, gooey brownie? What about something with goat cheese in it? That's a notably different flavor than the usual sweetness in dessert, so does it get any consideration?

So, with this as a backdrop, the Mild Wife and I randomly decided to pick out our top three cheeses the other day. It was a surprisingly difficult decision, because we eat cheese in a variety of ways. I like cheesecake, for example, so I had to consider cream cheese. We also buy blocks of cheddar cheese from Costco and we'll sometimes make a cheese platter when we're feeling a little pinkies up. Like I said, we had several options to choose from.

Given those options, the discussion took a solid 15 minutes. I'm not even kidding, we sat there and weighed the pro's and con's of individual cheeses. Sure, brie is delicious, but would you give up pizza for it? Is it really that good? There were lots and lots of considerations that led to the ultimate decision for each of us. Notably, we did not end up with the same top three. There was definitely overlap and some of our also-ran's were also drawn from the same pool (we do eat together a lot, after all), but my final three were different than the Mild Wife's top three.

I will refrain from providing our actual choices, because that spoils a bit of the mystique and it might color your own opinion. Besides, if you really want to know, we can have the conversation in real time and relive all of the amusement. However, I will mention that we then decided to extend the fun to our siblings and significant others, and got very different answers. My favorite part was that one of my brothers-in-law responded within like thirty seconds. He clearly had preferences. I chuckled quite a bit when he responded.

Finally, I'll end with a question to keep the conversation thread alive: what are your top three favorite cheeses?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...