Skip to main content

Pizza Party

The Mild Wife and I like food of all sorts. We will happily eat dino nuggets (and I will stand by my assertion that they taste better than the normal nuggets) and mac n cheese with no regrets, even though we also have a soft spot for steak. Sure, everyone likes the nicer things in life, but we don't require those things in order to be happy with a meal. Hell, some of my favorite foods are what you might call "peasant food."

Notably, pizza is on both the Mild Wife and my list of favorite items. We just plain like pizza. I don't think I've ever had a slice of pizza that was so bad that I wouldn't eat it, and I could easily have pizza for two meals a day without tiring of it. Like I said, we like pizza.

This, however, leads to an interesting observation by the Mild Wife: "how come people don't have pizza parties anymore?"

When we were younger, these sorts of gatherings were fairly common for birthdays and other celebrations. Looking back, I imagine it was because the logistics were much simpler that way. Buy four to six pizzas or so, throw in some soda, stock up on paper plates and plastic cups, and you have a party, all ready to go. You could entertain a dozen kids for hours that way.

These days, in our adult lives, people simply don't do that very often. Either you get home cooked meals, which are awesome, or you go out to eat. Within the going out to eat category, there's a lot of variety, so people don't necessarily focus on pizza. Put it this way: how often does someone both invite you to hang out and suggest pizza? It's likely not 100% of the time, and if you have enough options around you, that number starts to drop a lot. So, pizza parties are a rare treat for us.

That made it all the more amusing when we stopped off at some friends' house, and we ordered some pizza. At one point, we looked around, and realized that we were having a bonafide pizza party. The Mild Wife and I giggled, and immediately shared our observation with our friends. A good laugh was had by all.

I somehow doubt that will be the last time we do that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...