Skip to main content

Did You Read It?

I like to write. It's more of a hobby than anything else, but I enjoy doing it. I get to create worlds and characters, so it's like a workout for my imagination. And if this blog is any indication, my writing isn't going away any time soon. Basically, it's something that gives me a little bit of joy.

Now, I don't just write here, I also respond to Reddit writing prompts on occasion. I have to admit that I don't write there as much as I would like to, but it's more fun with an audience. Sure, I can still come up with interesting ideas or a clever turn of phrase when I write on my own, but that forum is nice because it has a built-in reader base. So I can see what works, what doesn't, or even if someone has constructive feedback. Basically, it's more fun when people read my stuff.

However, not all feedback is created equal. I definitely appreciate the congratulatory "well done" and I find the constructive criticism helpful. After all, that's how you get better at your craft; you keep at it and incorporate what works while cutting away what doesn't. The bit that I'm referring to here, though, comes from folks who seemingly didn't read the actual submission. I've had folks tell me that the character that tried to kidnap someone was a "good guy." That's not even a metaphor, there was an actual character in one of my stories that tried to abduct someone, and the commentary had something about how he was one of the heroes.

Now, I prefer not to get into arguments with people on the Internet, so I didn't waste much time correcting this person. Still, I couldn't help but laugh about the whole thing. I literally wrote the story, so I'm something of an authority on the subject. If the writing isn't that good and something could be interpreted a different way, that's one thing. But in this case, someone was telling me about my own writing. That'd sort of be like listening to a band for the first time, and then telling the lead guitar that he really meant to play a different chord on the third note of the song. There's an off-chance that you might be right, but the odds are overwhelmingly against you. And do you really want to be that guy?

Regardless, the whole episode cracked me up, and it reminded me that writing lands differently for everyone. I may or may not have brushed up on some pithy responses should this happen again, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...