Skip to main content

Trending

 Every now and then, the Mild Wife and I will crave a particular thing for dinner. Sometimes that's something that we make and sometimes that's take-out from a particular place. Basically, it's just a matter of feeling having a particular something for a meal. It can be as simple as making some quesadillas because we felt like having it as a snack, so we're really not talking anything extravagant here. Really, it just boils down to preferences for food popping up occasionally.

I don't think that's particularly noteworthy, as that basically boils down to, "what do you want for dinner?" Since it's just the two of us, it's not a huge deal, and we tend to stock up on enough of the basics that we can make a good chunk of our craving foods at home. However, there is a bit of a twist here. I've noticed that the Mild Wife will have a craving for a dish several days in a row. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened enough times that I've noticed.

It's not even the stereotypical items like ice cream or chocolate, for what it's worth. Every now and then, she feels like having popcorn like three nights in a row. I don't think I've ever discerned the pattern, and neither has she. It doesn't seem to be related to the calendar, it's not the same item all the time, and it doesn't even seem to be items with the same nutrients in them. It's just one of those things that happen every so often. Every body is different, after all.

The funniest part about this, however, was how the Mild Wife has taken to describing this. We were having a discussion about groceries, and I was proposing that we stock up on items if a craving was rearing its head. Suddenly, inspiration struck, and she said, "no, that's not trending this week." Yup, she described those food cravings as trending in her stomach. It was sheer genius, I tell you.

After we both calmed our laughter, we finished our grocery shopping. Still, the phrase had been coined, and I promise you that this is not the last time that we've talked about food trending in the Mild Home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...