Skip to main content

Coffee: The Preparation

I've mentioned before that coffee and I are relatively new friends, so there are still little things that I am a newbie about. The names of the various styles and flavors is chief among those lists, but there's quite a bit about the drink that still manages to bring a chuckle. As it turns out, the preparation of this beverage also brings about quite the chuckle.

First of all, let's start with the terminology for making the coffee. On an intellectual level, I know that one should "brew" coffee, especially given that I have occasionally seen marketing material for slow brewed, cold brewed, and even nitro cold brewed coffee. Yeah, there are lots of ways of brewing coffee.

However, given my lack of familiarity, I have occasionally talked about "steeping" coffee. I know that it's not the usual word that is used to describe this process, but the word isn't ingrained in my consciousness yet, so I sometimes swap in a different one. The end result is that I use the wrong word.

What makes it even funnier is that the Mild Wife will occasionally hear this, and shake her head in disapproval. She clearly knows the correct word, and has been around coffee culture long enough where my misuse of the word sounds really wrong to her. She laughed and corrected me the first couple of times she heard it, but I think on the third time, she was shaking her head in disapproval.

Well, banter in the Mild Home has a way of turning into a running gag, so by the third time, I was more amused by the reaction than the misuse of the word. Let's just say that, as a result, I have made this "mistake" more than three times, and the Mild Wife has realized that I am poking a little bit of fun. We both know that I know the correct word, and we both know that I think it is a little hilarious to use the incorrect word.

Fortunately for me, the Mild Wife also finds this amusing, so I'm not just trying to antagonize her. Still, the fact that I didn't know the correct word for preparing coffee still makes us laugh to this day. Who knew that mistakes could be so funny?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...