Skip to main content

The Pause

For much of my life, I have had a really large appetite. I never really intended for this to happen, but it just did. In fact, people around me would occasionally notice the amount of food that I ate, and there would inevitably be some good-natured ribbing about it. It was just one of those random tidbits that was true about me, sort of like the color of my hair or which of my hands is my dominant hand.

However, that started to change as I got older. I'm not geriatric, but I wrote over a decade ago that my appetite was starting to look more like the average person's (also, it's more than a little crazy to me that I can reference something I wrote 10+ years ago. That seems like a lifetime ago). Time and age have definitely changed that particular fact about me.

What's more, as it's become more of the norm for me to eat less, I have started to feel uncomfortable if I eat too much. It's not even a matter of comparing how much I eat now versus what I used to eat; whatever the absolute amount of food I can consume, I now feel the consequences of trying to stray past that limit. I feel actual discomfort if I try to eat more than my stomach requires, and I've noticed the feeling more prominently as the years have gone by.

Well, as I am wont to say, pain is a great teacher. I simply don't want to feel uncomfortable like that, so I try to avoid overeating. There are still occasions when I'm hungry and I eat a lot, but when I feel full, I stop eating. It's not about the actual amount I eat, it's about knowing when to stop.

However, this brings up a new, secondary dilemma. What if the first portion I serve myself isn't enough food? Am I still actually hungry? How much more should I serve myself? I don't want to go hungry, but I also don't want to feel uncomfortable because I ate too much. There's definitely a Goldilocks zone of how much more I can eat, and the trick is making sure to find it.

In an effort to make sure I stay within this zone, I have taken to pausing for five minutes or so after that first serving. I have read that sometimes your stomach doesn't provide the signals to your brain quickly enough (and/or that you ate too quickly), so my solution is to try inject an artificial pause to ensure that I'm not in this situation. If I'm still hungry after that quick break, I should continue to eat. If I find that I'm "suddenly" full, then I can stop eating.

Interestingly enough, I find that most of the time, I am, indeed, still hungry after the pause, but there have been a few times where it's saved me from myself. So, even though I'm mostly certain that I should grab a second serving, I'm going to keep doing this to make sure I do avoid that discomfort where possible. If anything, I find that it also helps calibrate the size of my second serving. All in all, I think it's been helpful.

Still, even though it's really useful, I can't help but laugh at myself. It's like a longer, self-imposed version of the five second rule (courtesy of this useful post). I've definitely chuckled at my own expense during the pause, and I'm not sure it's going to stop anytime soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copycat

So, my sister had a kid, so I have a new baby nephew these days. He's the first in my immediate family, so there's all sorts of excitement having to do with him. We are all very excited for his parents, and we're all very excited to meet him. My parents, understandably, were the most excited of the immediate family to meet him. They were the first to spend time with my sister and my nephew, and they were quite happy about the whole thing. The funniest part, to me, was that my mom insisted that my nephew looks like me. I didn't really think much of it, since there's almost always someone who insists that family member X looks like family member Y. Of course, my mom has years and years of experience with this whole baby thing. Also, she's MY mother, so she is one of the two foremost authorities on what I looked like as a baby. Not even I can say what I looked like as a baby, so I really should've listened when she threw out that particular tidbit. In fact,...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes . I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me. Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time. Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a...