Skip to main content

Waiting for the Suck

I've mentioned it before, but I like to watch some Netflix while I do the dishes. I don't remember when I started the practice, but it's become a routine at this point. It gives me something to focus on while I do chores, and it makes the whole experience more enjoyable. All in all, it seems like a good idea to me.

Now, I know that my screen time is limited. I'm certainly not going to wash dishes for two hours, so I can't watch an entire movie in one go. Heck, half the time, I can't even watch half of a movie in a single session. Ultimately, that drives my viewing preferences, so that I tend to favor episodic shows. Basically, that's how I watch some show or another: one dishwashing session at a time.

Recently, that's been the Star Trek: Enterprise show. I never watched it when it first came out on television, so this is my chance to see the whole series. As with many series, there are some good episodes and some not-so-good episodes. Still, it's a means of entertainment during chores, so I more or less just run with hit. It's not like it's been so terrible that I've wanted to give up on it altogether, though I will readily admit that some of the episodes were hard to get through.

However, during one of the recent bad episodes, I got curious how many seasons the show had lasted. I didn't want to know any spoilers, I just wanted to know if it had a long run after that or not. As it turns out, there were only four seasons of the show, so it wasn't an overwhelming success. From what I understand, ratings were low by the time that it was canceled.

In essence, there were good odds that it was going to suck at some point.

At the time when I looked this up, I wasn't yet on the fourth season (I might have been somewhere in the middle of the second season). So, I had it in the back of my head that the show was going to get terrible at some point, but I didn't know when. That led to an interesting phenomena where I would wait for the penny to drop. If there was something that seemed off, I would wonder if that was the beginning of the end. Was that character arc going to mean that the show veered into Terrible Land? What about that new technology? Was it going to be abused and suspend disbelief? There were lots of interesting moments like that.

Now, I fully recognize that it's possible that the power of suggestion was at play. I may have actually started to veer towards "this sucks" because I had some warning that it might eventually go bad. I can't completely rule this out, though I do think that some of my reasons for disliking certain episodes are pretty solid. Heck, I was thinking that before I discovered that the show was canceled, so I'd like to think it was mostly my original analysis.

In either case, I'm still slogging through the episodes, but I'm still waiting for the show to get bad. It's sort of amusing hearing myself wonder if this is it. I'm at the edge of my seat waiting for terrible television. That's at least worth a giggle, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nicknames Again

In a post from a while back , I mentioned that people around me end up with nicknames fairly frequently. It's not always my doing, but I am more than happy to play along. Of course, the best part isn't the actual nickname, it's always the back story that leads to the nickname. And since it's been a while since that previous post, I've picked up a few more stories about nicknames that are worth a chuckle. So, without further ado, I present to you: "ADT" You know how people pay for security systems for their houses? One of the most well-known companies is called ADT . My brother likes to say that he has no need for said security systems because one of his neighbors is constantly on the lookout for what's going on in the neighborhood. She's like a one-person neighborhood watch, complete with a side of the neighborhood gossip. He has actually come home and had her tell him about the comings and goings of his wife. My brother's smart aleck str...

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...