Skip to main content

The Five Minute Task

Lately, I've had a lot more meetings to attend at work. We're starting to get closer to completion of the project that I've been working on lately, so we have more things to hash out. I'd prefer to have more time to write code, but I understand that we need to have these meetings. So, I make sure to attend all of them, and not waste anyone else's time.

By default, everyone who is attending a meeting sees a little pop-up 15 minutes before that meeting starts. The idea is to make sure that people have plenty of time to walk to the right room, use the restroom, or otherwise take care of last-minute tasks. It's a good idea, and it also serves as a way to make sure that people don't forget to show up.

However, I've found that I have a decent grasp of what I need to get done in a given day, so I generally don't need a full fifteen minutes. So, I always hit the "snooze" button to be reminded five minutes before the meeting starts. For me, that works far better. I can keep working away until the five minute reminder shows up, and then I can take care of any last minute tasks with the five minutes leading up to the meeting.

The caveat, and the reason I'm writing this, is that every now & then, I time things a little too well. I will finish working on a feature or come to a good stopping point right as the five minute reminder comes up. What do I do then? Five minutes isn't exactly enough time to start any meaningful work, but I don't want to twiddle my thumbs for that long, either (as an aside, I can probably go for about three minutes of thumb-twiddling before I get bored). Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Well, I never pick the twiddle-my-thumbs option. I don't know why, but I never do. So, I try to find some small task that I can try to finish in about five minutes. You know how I got into this dilemma by managing my time very well? Apparently my luck runs out quickly, because I make up for this by being absolutely horrible at picking a five minute task. I will routinely start to get engaged in that five minute task, and suddenly realize that it's time for my meeting. I don't think I've ever once managed to pick something that has actually taken less than five minutes.

Luckily for me, I've never actually been late to a meeting as a result. I have had to immediately stop working on something in order to call in to a meeting plenty of times, though. I've felt sheepish each time this has happened, too. But knowing my ability to become engrossed when I probably shouldn't, I'm not going to push my luck.

After giving it a little bit of thought, I think I'm going to have to teach myself how to twiddle my thumbs for five minutes in a row. Sure, it'll be frustrating at first, but practice makes perfect. After enough repetition, I'll be a pro, enough so that I can avoid these near-misses with meetings. After all, I wouldn't want to waste anyone's time by being late. It's all in the name of doing right by the company.

Either that, or I can get lazy and set custom reminders for some period of time that's smaller than five minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combinations

Unfortunately, this pandemic seems to be drawing out even farther. I'd started to think that we might be getting over the hump, but the number of cases keep rising and there are new variants that seem to be causing concern all over again. I'm not predicting doom and gloom, but let's just say that I'm not surprised that some counties are starting to issue lockdown and mask rules again. Ultimately, that means that the Mild Wife and I have to ensure our mask game is on point again. We still have a few from the initial bout of sewing  but it's sure looking like we're going to need masks in the near future. Given that, I figured I might as well start making a few more. Of course, I've got a few more reps under my belt now, so I can start to think more about how we want the finished product to look rather than the mechanics of whether or not I threaded the machine properly. The latest sewing blog post happened to be about masks, and it was from a few weeks ago, s...

Ceviche Fest

Let me start this post by saying that ceviche happens to be my favorite food. If you've never had it, it's delicious. There are a bunch of different ways to make it, but the Peruvian version that I grew up with always hits a nostalgic spot in my heart. Keep that little nugget in mind, because it will make the rest of this post just a little more entertaining. That said, a while back, I was joking around with some of my family. I don't quite remember how it started, but someone said something along the lines of, "I wish I had more time to do X." I responded with a smart aleck, "I wish I had ceviche." Well, my brother and sister happened to be part of that conversation, and they also concurred that ceviche would be pretty awesome. We did grow up together, after all. After that, though, a magical thing happened: my brother suggested we make this happen. Do you have certain traditions that you always did with your parents? It doesn't really matter...

Timer

There are a bunch of everyday tasks around the Mild Home that require waiting some amount of time. Say I put want to put something in the oven, I need to make sure that I take it out after a set amount of time. I mean, bad things happen if you leave food in the oven for a long time. If you're lucky, it's just inedible; if you're unlucky, then the smoke alarm is involved. Quite a few of them involve food (steep the tea for X minutes, uncover the pot after Y minutes, etc.), so that should come as no surprise. However, I recently had to use baking soda and vinegar to help unclog a sink. As I discovered, you don't just dump those things down the sink. You wait 5-10 minutes after mixing those ingredients in the sink, to let them do their thing. Otherwise, it just fizzes for a bit, and nothing really happens. In either case, I needed to wait for a set amount of time. Now, when it comes to setting a timer, I have a few options. There are timers on the stove and on my cell phon...